Dead rock..used to be live

bluemerle

Non-member
I just aquired two pieces of kinda cool looking dead rock..used to be live. What would I need to do in order to place it in my tank?

thanks!!

How big are the rocks to what size tank and how dead, stink like low tide dead? If concerned put it in a 5 gal bucket, salt water from tank so do a water change, add a power head and do a few water changes to the bucket for a month or 2. Test water in bucket till cured. A large tank will handle the dead and bring it back to live in time. Remember the water changes.

Hmm..they are about 1-3 lbs each...pure white, not a schoche of life or stink in either.. They would be going in my 55g (I guess I should add that to my siggy eh? lol)

How big are the rocks to what size tank and how dead, stink like low tide dead? If concerned put it in a 5 gal bucket, salt water from tank so do a water change, add a power head and do a few water changes to the bucket for a month or 2. Test water in bucket till cured. A large tank will handle the dead and bring it back to live in time. Remember the water changes.

i recommend something to remove organic matter. like a HOB skimmer for example. This is the essence of cycling rock.

Hmm..they are about 1-3 lbs each...pure white, not a schoche of life or stink in either.. They would be going in my 55g (I guess I should add that to my siggy eh? lol)

Do you already have rock in the 55 gallon?
If you have a significant amount of rock. I'd just toss them right in the tank.2 pieces of 3 lb. rock in a well cycled tank isn't going to do anything.

Back