Live Rock and dead Zoas...normal?

afsportsguy000

Non-member
So,

I bought some live rock from TI and they were all TINY broken up pieces this is before I knew anything about the hobby and just getting some live rock in the tank. I took all of them out of my tank today and notice a TON of them look like they used to have Zoa's on them maybe 10 heads or less....Is this really live rock and normal to have that on there, or am I just getting ripped off and that is actually bad for my tank?

Just so I know if I should put them back in the tank when I have everything redone.

Thanks,

Yea, when I get home I will take some pics....Basically I bought some live rock, I never really looked at it, and I can see dead what looks like Zoas encrusted on a few pieces.

Dead zoas wouldn't really be encrusted. May have been old LPS or SPS colonies. Probably nothing to worry about. I've bought rock before that had dead coral colonies on it (some of the rubble was actually SPS skeletons). They usually die during shipping and curing.

Dead zoas wouldn't really be encrusted. May have been old LPS or SPS colonies. Probably nothing to worry about. I've bought rock before that had dead coral colonies on it (some of the rubble was actually SPS skeletons). They usually die during shipping and curing.

Yea I may be WAY off on the Zoas, but mist likely SPS skeletons....I just wanted to make sure it wasnt something that could harm my tank in the future

Liverock (LR) is just old coral skeletons mashed together from years of corals dying and new corals growing over dead skeleton. Then it is harvested from the ocean for the bacteria and microscopic life on it. Today most LR is void of much of any life except something from someone else tank or TBS LR. When LR was first available you would get some life on it but nothing fancy sponges and what not. IF you got real lucky you might find a soft coral that made it through cycling.

Much of what you see today is mostly aqua cultured in our tanks specific areas in the ocean that are seeded by companies or done at the companies facilities.

Back