Devil Worm destroyed after 5 years of hunting!

kingfish62

Non-member
OK. it has been over 4 years since this Oenone fulgida has reared it's ugly head I finally caught it tonight.
DSCF0801_zpsa3e6d21a.jpg

DSCF0797_zpsbf508b56.jpg

It has been working on one of my candy cane colonies. The colony was looking pretty rough, 5 or more heads eaten by this devil worm. So i took the colony out and rearranged the LR beneath it to break down the sand tube this worm had created fom the sand to the candycanes which were about 12 inches above the sand. then I desided to clean and frag the colony. The sandtube was woven through the branches. As I was tearing though the tube I saw it retreat deeper into the colony. As I started cutting the coral I noticed it smelled like the stench of a rotten tooth .This worm ate its way into a mouth of one polyp and burrowed into branches and was eating this coral from the inside out. I am pretty sure I got all it's pieces. Can These thing regenerate? Hope not! I know I got the tail end and the head. I am also hoping there was only this one worm because I never say more than on tube at on time and it alway eminated from the same space.

Glad ya finally grabbed it. So it was inside the candy coral? Now that's weird

Man what a jerk. Finally he had a bad day instead of your candy canes. His bum looks like a normal bristle worm.

Glad ya finally grabbed it. So it was inside the candy coral? Now that's weird

It usually retreats back into the sand tube down the rock and back into the sand. That why I could never get it.
I guess it was too busy stuffing it's ugly face.

Over the years it has killed a couple of corals and damaged many others.

Man that was no regular hunt... it was a long safari for the Shikaka (white devil). Ace Ventura

Man that was no regular hunt... it was a long safari for the Shikaka (white devil). Ace Ventura

It was not much of a hunt. I had basically conceded, and just offered little sacrifices to the worm. It was just dumb luck pulling that colony out.

Back