Did you start your system with live rock or dry rock and what were your experiences while maturing?

I started with dry rock on my latest build. This stuff was from my previous systems. It was dried out and stored relatively poorly. When the time came to reboot, I power-washed, bleached, sun cured and soaked in seawater a handful of times. I also used phosphate remover. By the time I actually cycled the rock, it went better than expected. Dinos early and nothing to ugly or inhibiting that a light blast with a turkey baster would not remove. It's worth noting that I am using 100% NSW.

In the past I have used imported rock and had as many, if not more problems with cyano and GHA. I think the prep-work that went into it this time around made all the difference. Your mileage may vary.

I don't think it really matters....
My tank was started with the rocks from my old tanks that have been dumped in the the woods with rain, sun, and snow for a couple months(Sure way to get rid of any pest :D).
While I was waiting for the new tank to be built, I collected all the rocks and put them in a rubbermaid. Made some water with IO and place a powerhead and let them sit for about 4 months then started to use them in a temporary while still planning out the new tank. You can look at my post here.
This turned out to be the best prep process I ever did to start a tank. No green phase, no fish dying. I don't know if it's the extra time allowed for the rocks to cycle and process or the running of UV and large skimmer with very little bioload to clean out the rocks or the natural exposure to the outside environment or all the above.
I think if you give it enough time, nature will take care of itself. Even if you get the green phase, don't panic and let it phases itself out. Every fire will burn out, eventually.
I actually believe the problem with dry rock is it won’t be “ Alive” until it’s around a year in water. In your case , you essentially had it running for a year before putting it in your tank. I wish I could do that but it’s not feasible for everyone.

Back