Dino or cyano? H2O2 treatment?

jselzler1

Non-member
Hi,

I have a breakout of Dino or Cyano now started maybe 4 weeks ago. Attaching pics so you all can tell me which.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372109636.040822.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372109647.759583.jpg

At first a scrubbing of rock with water change seemed to help but now back. Have reduced feedings to every other day. Now just started dosing H2O2 1ml/gal. Am thinking of going lights out also during same time period. Any other advice?

Water params from test 2 days ago.

Temp - 78.6
Nitrates - 0 (API tester)
Alk - 8.2
Calcium - 400
Salinity - 1.025
Mag - 1300
PO4 - 0 (crappy API test)

Looks like cyano. I have been battling the same thing in one spot of my tank for about a month as well. I suck it out with airline hose when I see it, and it's almost gone.

Looks like both,but mostly cyano there.
Do you feed the corals anything?If so,you need to stop.

I thought the dosage for H2O2 is 1ml/10gal. You should double check so you don't overdose and kill everything.

I did the chemi-clean treatment per instructions. Took care of the cyano and/or dino short term. Had a blue/green stag I got from Dong bleach after the chemi/clean treatment. Still in the tank, maybe it will come back someday.

Trying to hit source, i'll keep feedings cut back to every other day, mostly pellets and flakes. Will add more flow, see Jabeo 25 thread, currently have 15x flow, but some deadspots. Will add cheato to sump. Didn't have luck with cheato in past but that was with young tank. Finally will have topoff water tested with a decent meter.

I had a pretty big cyano outbreak from natural light my tank gets in the summer. I used chemiclean and got an innovative marine reactor and ran GFO. The chemiclean really wiped out all the cyano and the GFO pulled off all the waste afterwards. I didn't lose anything in the process but I did have a couple SPS wash out in color from the GFO so I backed off on the amount. I also stopped feeding flake and pellet altogether and feed only frozen. Also, you can try a lights out day once weekly to stay on top of things. My outbreak was pretty severe and it seemed like it occurred overnight but it went away completely after I put all these methods to use.

Back