DIY metal halide questions.....

SaltCreep

Non-member
What else would be needed to run a metal halide -Single End- ansi M57 bulb if you had one of these ballasts?

2b73_1.JPG

2af4_1.JPG

Would you need some kind of capactor to ignite the bulb or do you think this ballast has a capacitor in it...or is this electronic???:confused:

Thanks for ANY ideas......

That is an M57 Magnetic ballast, and I believe it has the ignitor built into it. I wouldn't buy it though. Those are more of a "commercial" type ballast, and I'd be willing to bet they run very hot. If there is one thing I would recommend not skimping on, it's definitely MH ballasts. A cheap MH ballast can easily burn a house down. I would suggest looking for a used ballast that is made by a company that builds the units for home use.

Go for either a PHO or a TAR ballast. A TAR is bulkier and less efficient but is less likely to break down on you. A PHO is more efficient and less cumbersome.

AHA !! Great Information!

I think we have a winner!

That is an M57 Magnetic ballast, and I believe it has the ignitor built into it. I wouldn't buy it though. Those are more of a "commercial" type ballast, and I'd be willing to bet they run very hot. If there is one thing I would recommend not skimping on, it's definitely MH ballasts. A cheap MH ballast can easily burn a house down. I would suggest looking for a used ballast that is made by a company that builds the units for home use.

Smacnally- I see where your comming from....and you may be right in this case. I think I'm going to play around with one anyway because the price is right and inquiring minds want to know.

I really cant afford a $200 ballast...I mean I'm using playsand, a homemade skimmer, and I live in Fitchburg for cryin out loud!:p

What is that ballast selling for? Ballasts are not $200.
What type of light are trying to run?

That one was selling for somewhere around $20....now the listing is gone....hmmm...

I mean if I could schlock together a basement frag tank matal halide for 40 bucks.....it might be worth it.....

That one was selling for somewhere around $20....now the listing is gone....hmmm...

I mean if I could schlock together a basement frag tank matal halide for 40 bucks.....it might be worth it.....

I wouldn't waste your time then...A bulb alone cost more than $40. You'll have a very tough time finding even a POS unit that is likely to start a fire in your house for $40.

Back