Do Flame Angelfish jump?

The River Reef

Non-member
I bought a new Dwarf Flame Angelfish for my tank last night... I was doing some reading and ran across a post warning that they commonly jump out of uncovered tanks. I do not have a cover on my tank, should I place one on it? And I did not want to block the air exchange... has anyone used screen covers? Please advise...

I have the glass top my tank came with... I guess I will place it up there until I can locate a screen version. Is it bad to keep a glass top on reef tanks? I have read conflicting opinions...

its not bad to keep a glass top on a reef tank but you will have to keep it well cleaned every few days so your not loosing any of your lighting. the glass may prevent good gas exchange as well but wont be of issue if you have a sump. netting and/or a canopy would be my choice.

not sure on the angel but ANY fish is capable of jumping, ofcourse some more then others.

Well, I know I jump. I just do not leave the ground and get much air.

Definately put a screen or something on top of your tank. I am sure any fish that is in flight mode could leave the tank.

Back