Do you struggle with lower ph in the winter? You might want to read this

Aquaman_68

too many gadgets to fail
I figured since reading more than a few times of reefers experiencing lower ph in the tank during winter months I would post this... Below I will give some people a few reasons that could be overlooking as the culprit....

Have you struggled with a lower than normal ph in your tank this winter ...It is always common to see ph swings on the low side in the winter..(due to closed windows trapping C/02 & also your heating system producing excess C/02. ) Mine shifts in the winter too...have any of you had this problem prior? (last few winter seasons) You may have had your reactor cranked up to high on the co/2 level & residual was getting into the system..(if your running a ca reator)

Something to also consider:

Decomposing organics can lower the ph level in your closed system which can cause an overall lower ph in the system..
This is why it is important to keep your water changes up & your feedings in small amounts ea time. (instead of dumping a whole load of food all at once..)What doesn't get eaten in the first min sits in the sandbed & rots..

So...
Coupled with the "sealed in" house effect in the winter can be like a double whammy with the ph declining due to decomposing organics..

Those of you who use ca reators:

Because of this it makes it so much more important that your effluent from your reactor be checked for the ph level. (cause now your throwing a third acidic measure into the mix to lower the ph even more)

Most conventional reactors don't need more than a ph of the effluent in the 7.0 range...Once you go below that you are just pumping residual c/02 into the tank lowering the ph..

FWIW:Secondary chambers help to aid in residual c/02 being pumped into the system. (if you want to be overkill & you have a large depletion of alk/kh & ca you can add a third chamber to allow you to crank up the effluent ph from.

1) the first chamber if you only have a single chamber
2) after the second chamber in a twin chamber unit.

The newer reverse flow reactors combat the residual c/02 excess by means of flow...

Dripping kalk when the lights go off is also another way to give the ph a boost..

Hope this can help those with low ph issues!!;)

B

Last edited:
Great right up. I don't use a reactor but I do drip kalk. I was at 8.4 during the summer now I'm down around 8.1-8.2 FWIW

yeah, pretty much all of the above has helped me, but also i've noticed that since i've gotten my CA reactor my PH actually has not dropped... i'm just a tad bit under 7.0 from the effluent, but i think that since my alk is way more stable then back when i used to dose, my PH is not as quickly to fall...

Another thing that REALLY seems to help me is to plumb the air intake of the skimmer outside... it keeps me solid in the 8.0-8.1 where as i used to be falling to way lower than that at night time.

Another thing i like to do (not sure if it helps or not..) is keep the ceiling fan on in the room... my thoughts were that it pushes around the air and pushes some of that stale air out of the door to the room so that i can get newer fresher air in the room... helps with heat a little too, especially in a small room like the one my tank is in.

I saw a difference after moving the output of the CA reactor from the sump to the refugium. The plants love the residual CO2 and use any phosphates that the CA medium is releasing, so you get a double benefit.

I saw a difference after moving the output of the CA reactor from the sump to the refugium. The plants love the residual CO2 and use any phosphates that the CA medium is releasing, so you get a double benefit.

Wow that's an awesome idea. I hope I'll remember that when I get to the point where I need a reactor. That makes perfect sense...

Excellent thread Brian. I keep effluent around 6.7 and drip kalk at night. I have experienced a slight drop in pH but nothing worth worrying about.

Thanks for posting. Very cool!

If your going to draw air from outside I would filter it. It does work well but has its risks.

Also be careful where you draw air from. As any Dryer or Heater vents/exhauts could be drawn in as well.
DO not underestimate how much air your skimmer pulls anything in the air drwn from outside will be mixed into your tank water..

If your going to draw air from outside I would filter it. It does work well but has its risks.

Also be careful where you draw air from. As any Dryer or Heater vents/exhauts could be drawn in as well.
DO not underestimate how much air your skimmer pulls anything in the air drwn from outside will be mixed into your tank water..

obviously keep it from things like car or generator,, direct vent exhaust etc. the air from the outside will not be built up with CO like indoor air and keep your PH up. Also dont have to worry about indoor pollutants as much.

Does plant growth in the system ( macro algae) help with problems caused by or attributed to Co2 build up. Im a strong believer that a tank is pivotal on livestock (animal kingdom) to plant life ratio. IMO use the most light over the most area you can for macro algae.

Great right up. I don't use a reactor but I do drip kalk. I was at 8.4 during the summer now I'm down around 8.1-8.2 FWIW

That is a normal drop...houses with more drafts will be inclined to have less a drop...tighter houses will experience a larger downward shift

That is where I've always had mine for that very reason...
Excellent thread Brian. I keep effluent around 6.7 and drip kalk at night. I have experienced a slight drop in pH but nothing worth worrying about.

Thanks for posting. Very cool!

Your welcome

Thanks for the info!

my pleasure

for those who can try using outside air for your air intake on the skimmer. works well IMO.

It can be a benifit & also be a curse...Greg can attest to that!!!

Yeah..well put...do not underestimate how much your foam production can be "knocked down" from those contaminents as well

HMMM were did i read this before.;) Very Nice Brian.
Ronnie, Thanks...give me a call....
B

obviously keep it from things like car or generator,, direct vent exhaust etc. the air from the outside will not be built up with CO like indoor air and keep your PH up. Also dont have to worry about indoor pollutants as much.
outdoor polutants that can't be avoided like...maybe...your next door neighbor throwing down fertilizer for his lawn...or maybe spraying poison for pests.... I'll stick to an open window in the summer...Much less likely to draw those things in that easy without the "turbo effect"(& also suffer in the winter):D
Does plant growth in the system ( macro algae) help with problems caused by or attributed to Co2 build up. Im a strong believer that a tank is pivotal on livestock (animal kingdom) to plant life ratio. IMO use the most light over the most area you can for macro algae.
I think plant life is another filter...a natural one & a neccesary one!!

Thanks for all the input everyone!!

Good write up Brian.
I also notice a good skimmer is also help with keeping the PH up in the winter time.

Brian, Finally got a chance to read it. Some great information here. Looks like I will be moving my effluent to the fuge.

I had my skimmer plumbed outside but my skimmer draws so much air the freezing air was having a cooling effect on my tank,something to consider if you are trying to keep your heaters off.

Good write up Brian.
I also notice a good skimmer is also help with keeping the PH up in the winter time.
Thanks, Nick.....& yes good oxygen exchange is key..

Brian, Finally got a chance to read it. Some great information here. Looks like I will be moving my effluent to the fuge.
Thanks, Your cheato will be happy!!;)

I had my skimmer plumbed outside but my skimmer draws so much air the freezing air was having a cooling effect on my tank,something to consider if you are trying to keep your heaters off.
Good point for those of you with turbo air intakes!!

Thanks for the input guys...
B

Back