Does anyone dose phytoplankton?

jdeb101

Non-member
jw if I should start as I just purchased a clam and read that they feed of phyto. If so, any recommended brands? Marine Snow maybe?

You don't need to dose phyto to keep clams unless they are very small. I have kept clams for years without it.

I like the frozen products best if you are going to use it. I have used the Tahitian Blend Reef Algae Paste which combines 4 or 5 different strains of phyto. http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/Algae-Pastes-c6.html

Localy, I think skiptons sells crypto-paste.

Lighting Lighting Lighting. They siphon very little nutrients out of the water, even when they are little it can be negligible. Ca is really important too. It's species specific, so research the anatomy of the species you get. It'll help you decide where you need to go.

Even if you have a small clam, adding phyto to your tank water is probably poluting the tank more than it's helping the clam. The proper way to feed a baby clam is to remove the clam from the tank while it's sitting in a bowl of water. Then add the phyto to the bowl, and leave the clam for an hour or so until the green color of the water goes away.

Some of the more recent research by James Fatherree seems to say clams don't need to be fed even if they are under 3", and also that bowl feeding only serves to stress them and clog their gills.

Trinadteds are able to get more than 100% of the energy they need from light alone for both Respiration, and a normal growth rate. The Hipnos clam when it's small get's 300% of the energy it needs for respiration from light, but it does not get enough energy to grow at a normal rate until larger, this is the one exception.

Most of this info came from a well respected member on another board who saw James' presentation first hand.

If you must feed it, I agree that the bowl feeding method is the way to go. I have had luck myself with multiple clams around 1" that seemed healthy and grew with no feeding. Must have adequite light to sustain them though.

Even if you have a small clam, adding phyto to your tank water is probably poluting the tank more than it's helping the clam. The proper way to feed a baby clam is to remove the clam from the tank while it's sitting in a bowl of water. Then add the phyto to the bowl, and leave the clam for an hour or so until the green color of the water goes away.

My experience with dosing phyto is that all sorts of small fauna rapidly expand in population... This includes the calcerous tube worms. So you're proably right about polluting the tank... Usually, I just turn of all the pumps and squirt some phyto around the clam... bowl feeding was easier before the crocea attached itself...

I've never had any experience with dosing clams and the one we've had is about 2-4 inches and it's fine just doing its thing. We've had it over a year and it's still growing. knock on wood :)

Thanks for the input everyone. I decided I will not dose. My clams approx 3-4 inches anyhow so I'll see how it goes. So let me get this straight...as long as it's growing its healthy and getting enough food?

At that size there is really no question that it should be fine as long as it has adequate light, Ca and alk.

Thank you. I have a 40 gallon breeder (16 inch depth I believe) running 4 T5's (2 of which are actinics). I've had pretty good growth from just about everything in my tank, sps, lps, softies. Sound good?

You might be OK, you might be pushing it?

Softies and LPS are happy generally happy under moderate light, tridacnids have requirements more like SPS. You might be better off adding a couple more blubs?

>Thank you. I have a 40 gallon breeder (16 inch depth I believe) running 4 T5's (2 of which are actinics). <

What's the total wattage? and what species of clam are we talking about?

Might be a bit low for a T. crocea. They are one of the most light demanding. It may do okay for a while, but may not be getting enough light to keep up with energy demands and then it will start to lose strength. A T. deresa, or T. squamosa might be okay under those conditions, but I'd stay away from crocea or maxima.

FWIW, I once kept a blue maxima in a 54 corner lit by 4 75 Watt VHO's. Was okay for about a year, but never was growing. Died eventually. If you don't see a white rim of new growth around the edge of the clam it may not be getting enough light....this of course assumes that the clam is not full grown.

:( Thanks for the info. So are you basically saying if the white rim around the edge disappears it may be starving to death? I wanna give it a chance and see how it does, but of course I don't want to starve it to death either.

btw Greg, take a look at the new photos in the thread in my sig. Theres a pic of two Bangaiis I purchased from you quite a while back. :)

btw Greg, take a look at the new photos in the thread in my sig. Theres a pic of two Bangaiis I purchased from you quite a while back. :)

Yep. The white rim shows new growth and with most of the things we keep growth equals health. In other words if it isn't growing it isn't healthy. You should definitely move the clam as close to the light as possible.

Hi guys, just an update. I still do see white rim at the edge, however the clam seems to have been turning itself. Does this perhaps indicate its not happy?

Back