Does anyone have an Elos Diamond Tank?

agent6473

Non-member
Considering the newer style Elos Diamond series tank with “Absolute” cabinet. Does anyone happen to have one setup? Thoughts compared to the Red Sea Reefer tanks?

Thanks,
Chris

There are lots of reports of the Red Sea tanks leaking and failing catastrophically. There is a local reefer (Joseph Gagne) with a thread on R2R, as one, of many, examples. In that thread alone, there are several Red Sea owners that stated they had leaking tanks.

There have also been accusations that dozens of people have complained about leaking or blown out Red Sea tanks on the Red Sea FB page, which the company then scrubs.

Inevitably, someone will make the defense that everyone makes a bad product here and there. My counter-argument would be that:

a. I doubt Red Sea sells more than a few thousand of their larger tanks (which seem to have the most problems) each year. If the dozens of complaints are legitimate, that is an embarrassing failure rate because...

b. Fish tanks have to be one of the simplest things in the world to manufacture, and the potential failure points are basically a couple seams. How hard is that to do properly? The fish tank - when properly installed - should be the one piece of the system that lasts decades.

c. Nobody would accept this excuse if it was putting your child, rather than fish and corals at risk.

In defense of Red Sea, these people could have had improper installations that caused the failure. Furthermore, I have not compiled the complaints to see if it's the same five people complaining in multiple places, thus amplifying a small issue, or if there is a real problem with Red Sea.

What I do know is that Red Sea uses thinner glass than any other manufacturer building tanks of similar size that are rimless. Perhaps there is something to this.

Now, you will only find a very small number of complaints about Elos tanks. But that could simply be because they are so expensive that they only sell a small number of them. Or it could be that to get a large tank that doesn't leak, you need to pay up for it. I am not aware of anyone with a Reef Savvy tank that has leaked, but they cost as much as a decent used car. One thing I can say is that of the Elos tanks I have seen, the craftsmanship is better than anything except Reef Savvy. It could also be that having large rimless tanks pushes the limits of the silicone, and that large rimless tanks simply shouldn't be made.

I don't know if that's helpful, but if you avoid an exploding tank, hopefully that has value.

Last edited:
Great, now I won’t be able to sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great, now I won’t be able to sleep.

Haha. Sorry! Just make sure it's supported properly and is level...should mitigate a lot of the risk. I would also say the odds are in your favor. Just keep an eye on it!

I have an older Elos tank, bought it used (not sure how long previous owner had it running) and it's been running for 2 years now. *knock on wood* I trust in it, but it's ultimately your judgement of course. One word of caution with Elos is that aside from the cost, I'm not sure how easy they are to deal with if you do have an issue since they are in Italy. Though I believe they do have a sales/support guy based in the US, I believe NJ?

I have an older Elos tank, bought it used (not sure how long previous owner had it running) and it's been running for 2 years now. *knock on wood* I trust in it, but it's ultimately your judgement of course. One word of caution with Elos is that aside from the cost, I'm not sure how easy they are to deal with if you do have an issue since they are in Italy. Though I believe they do have a sales/support guy based in the US, I believe NJ?

Coralvue is the U.S. distributor. No idea how helpful they are.

I had an Elos system 70 and then a 160XL before the big Miracle tank. Will likely go with Elos if I don’t want another large tank.
Customer service with Elos is not very good but when do you actually need service on a tank? If the thing blows, it’s too late for customer service.

Red Sea has acknowledged the defect in the large tanks as a stand support issue and will be giving current owners of the xxl 750 the cross brace and installing them on the new tanks as well.

So I just read the statement by the company and the thread on R2R...google "Red Sea acknowledged as defective" and you will find it.

The company is saying all tanks besides the 750 will be fine, even if the stand sags in the middle. In that thread there are several people with smaller tanks that have sags between the stand and the bottom of the tank. I would not trust this with a rimless tank of any size. The entire bottom needs to be supported evenly, which is why basically anyone else that makes a rimless tank suggests a layer of insulation or special foam between the tank and the stand.

I'm not at all surprised this is the issue. I called Red Sea directly~18 months ago to ask if I could buy the tank without the stand and they said no. I was concerned not only about whether the stand would hold, but I simply don't need the stand anyway.

It's troubling that the company took over 2 years to acknowledge the problem, and evidently was deleting posts and blocking people from their FB page. They also don't seem willing to acknowledge the risk to the smaller tanks.

I may have considered buying just the tank after seeing the issue, but as I said, they won't let you. And their reaction to the issue is unsatisfactory, in my view. I probably would not buy a Red Sea tank anymore.

I just looked back at a quote I got from Reef Savvy last year for a 72x36x24 tank with 3 sides low iron, dual returns, external overflow, armored seams (an $300 upgrade) and a black background. The quote was $7,260, plus $1,040 for shipping and crate, so $8300 total. No stand.

The closest sized Elos Diamond is the 200XL, which costs $7815 shipped with no stand.

The Reef Savvy is a 6% premium, and you get a bigger tank, with better quality, that you can customize. And far better customer service than you would get anywhere else, I would go Reef Savvy all day.

Yes, if you want premium custom tank, I would go with ReefSavvy. They have a long lead time though 5 years ago when I was talking with them. Not sure about today.
If you want premium AIO ready to put water in, I would do Elos.
If you want quality tank for the money, I would do Miracle. Their price is reasonable and they're pretty fast.
I'm looking at a 120XL diamond myself. But have to unpack first. :p

I just looked back at a quote I got from Reef Savvy last year for a 72x36x24 tank with 3 sides low iron, dual returns, external overflow, armored seams (an $300 upgrade) and a black background. The quote was $7,260, plus $1,040 for shipping and crate, so $8300 total. No stand.

The closest sized Elos Diamond is the 200XL, which costs $7815 shipped with no stand.

The Reef Savvy is a 6% premium, and you get a bigger tank, with better quality, that you can customize. And far better customer service than you would get anywhere else, I would go Reef Savvy all day.

By external overflow, you mean the Ghost Overflow? or they actually cut the back glass panel and glue in the glass overflow?

Did the paper test on my reefer 250.... anyone want a second hand reefer 250 for 1000$ setup in January 2019? Haha
99D5CF43-F731-419C-A022-ED5F2F4548BE.jpeg

If you go to page 13 and 14 of the thread I mentioned previously, there are updates from the company. They still don't have the actual solution in place for the 750, but are adamant that this issue does not impact smaller tanks, even with sagging.

If I owned any of these tanks, I would probably just be vigilant about inspecting the seams regularly, but I wouldn't worry too much otherwise. I may still consider one of the tanks, but I would not use the stand.

Last edited:
Please check out Waterbox tanks, they are well made.

Back