Does the "Leng Si" Cap exist in the reef hobby now?

Aquaman_68

too many gadgets to fail
So who would like to dispute?

For those of you who know (or don't) the history behind this coral as was stated on the long thread @ RC way back.......Well......Let me refresh your memory.......
This cap is not like any green cap with a purple rim. There are some close imposters but none like the original. (at least from my experience in the hobby which stretches before the infamous "Leng Si cap was discovered")

This cap has a striking dark green color & an equally striking dark, thick purple rim. Along with these notables, the most notable is it's growth form. This cap tends to grow thick upward nodules from the plating & swirling base.

The most notable thing about the nodules is they grow right from when the coral is a small frag. I've had one frag smaller than an inch produce the nodules. (not after 3 inches as some online vendors who claim to have the original & sell frags from said coral) I've purchased one to see if I could make a comparison. They are different!!!

The original can grow nodules from a frag smaller than an inch in size. The imposter though a close facsimile can't. The imposter isn't as deep green in color & also the nodules are not as pronounced.

The nodules also don't start to form until the coral is at least 3 inches large. (the one I received from a popular online vendor, with this claim ,did not start till it was over 4 inches & the nodules are week at best!!!) Anyway back to the story...(enough description!!)
Steve Tyree stated on the thread that the coral had perished & he was understood that no one had a remaining peice of the offspring. (because he lost his & he went back to the originator & he had lost his as well as a few other reefers who were local to them.

Well one person that got a frag off the mother while it was still alive. (from Leng Si himself) Along with (ST) was (Mike Palletta) & than another reefer from out west (pucci) got a frag from (MP) prior to him loosing his due to a tank crash I beleive. (But I'm not certain...he could could have also experienced some sort of coral "shutdown" as well)
Apparently pucci was able to distribute a few of the frags to local reefers (& one by one they were either lost or the reefers were said to be out of contact) So is this the end of the poor Leng Si Cap?
NOT!!!
I was able to acquire one of the original frags which (pucci) distributed back then. (prior to him losing his colony as well)
The frag grew into a very large colony & for reasons beyond my control!!!! The large colony shutdown & just about completely perished. (no rtn or stn....just shutdown which began to expell it's zooanthelle until it turned completley white & began to grow algae.)

Heart broken I was....to witness this "holy grail" of a specimen, slowly say by!!!
I left the coral in the tank for weeks as a memorial. (which is not a normal habit for me) after about 3 weeks or more I noticed 4 small areas no more than the size of a 6d framing nail begin to show signs of possible flesh..
After a few more weeks I noticed a polyp or two from all of the 4 chips of flesh. (the flesh was still white in color)
I left it be to keep it stable & by a month & a half it was evident I had what you would call the smallest offspring from my completly dead mother colony.
Once the color came back to the flesh I fragged the peices off the mother, mounted them on 4 seperate plugs & laid her to rest. :( (it broke my heart)

Well after over 3 years Im gald to say....They frags grew evry very slow but they took.
Here's a pic of one of the frags from the mother in my tank!!!
Can you make a comparison from a pic? probably not.....But if you saw it in person you would say...Hands down there's a difference!!!
Well after all that!!!!! Here it is:

Attachments

• MVC-019S.JPG
    MVC-019S.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 869
Last edited:
Hmm i guess the reports of it's death were greatly exxagerated. Seriously though, Brian has both caps in his tank this one and the "other" leng sy cap, It only takes one glance of the eye to see there is a huge difference. Very nice piece Brian although i've said it quite a few times already.

Brian, Gumhead orig got a frag from someone named Carlos on the left coast who's orig frag was from Leng Sy....that is where my orig frag came from....at least I believe it to still be true..fwiw

Brian, Gumhead orig got a frag from someone named Carlos on the left coast who's orig frag was from Leng Sy....that is where my orig frag came from....at least I believe it to still be true..fwiw

Andy, Do you still have it? When did you acquire your original frag? Was it from GH, LS or C? It would be great to see a pic to at least make a comparison. I won't feel your hijacking my thread. I know it is tough to make a solid conclusion from:
1) pics of two seperate colonies
2) in different tanks
3) with different lighting
4) & different conditions
But fire away...... I don't mind!:)

hey Brian,
Dave (gumhead) had this pic on RC. I remember spending hours talking to him about the purple rim and where it came from (which is what I posted above). When Dave finally broke his tank down and sold off everything, I got my 3/4-1" frag from him. I will see if I can dig up a pic of my colony when it was in its prime....it has been passed around a bit but I still have about a 4" round colony doing okay.

Attachments

• gumhead leng sy cap.jpg
    gumhead leng sy cap.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 762
Hmm i guess the reports of it's death were greatly exxagerated. Seriously though, Brian has both caps in his tank this one and the "other" leng sy cap, It only takes one glance of the eye to see there is a huge difference. Very nice piece Brian although i've said it quite a few times already.

Thanks for your compliment, Brian
Below is a pic of the imposter. very hard to tell from this pic though!!

Attachments

• MVC-029S.JPG
    MVC-029S.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 739
Last edited:
close up of a two inch frag. (the original Leng Sy)

Attachments

• MVC-027S.JPG
    MVC-027S.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 742
Here's a small frag from the authentic original. Note the heavy ridges in the plate. (which is how the nodules begin to form) This frag is 1/2" in size!!!

Attachments

• MVC-030S.JPG
    MVC-030S.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 723
Please note. The color of all my images are washed out. They are actually much more darker & color rich in person. pics were taken under 10K lighting which tends to wash out corals depending on how close the lights are to the image being taken. All these images were taken aprox 9 inches from the lights!!!

those nodules and purple rim are amazing. Ive never seen that cap so up close and personal. Awesome read brian-, didnt know some of the info behind this piece. ty for sharing

;) Thank you Dong & Steve. Glad you can appreciate a long story, Steve!!! :p (most people get bored when they start to grow into many paragraphs!!!)

The B man is always pleasant entertainment :) It is nice to aquire a coral that you know is rare and hard to keep in the home aquarium. Beautiful cap man!

The B man is always pleasant entertainment :) It is nice to aquire a coral that you know is rare and hard to keep in the home aquarium. Beautiful cap man!

Entertainment!!...Gee thanks & isn't that the truth, Mr Mark!!!
Thanx for the compliments!!!;)

maybe it's me but looks to me like the gumhead coral (and mine) are the same as the one you post...just diff color intensities...nodes look the same. I know Dave use to have them under 10k de bulbs with vho actinics...I had them under 10 se with T5

maybe it's me but looks to me like the gumhead coral (and mine) are the same as the one you post...just diff color intensities...nodes look the same. I know Dave use to have them under 10k de bulbs with vho actinics...I had them under 10 se with T5

Snap a pic of yours & post a pic, Andy. ;)

Great thread!
I have a true Leng and a close imposter as well. My colony has a crazy thick skeleton, probably the thickest monti in the tank.
How high do you keep your colony? IME, I've found it loves super high light and a ton of flow.

Just a little known FYI:

Tyree's pic of Leng Sy as illustrated in Eric Borneman's "Aquarium Corals", was shot with kodachrome film. From what I understand, this accounts for the unusual brilliance of the pic.

I know why Leng
s original colony was lost, and its a shame...

Back