Does this algae look ok or is it something to worry about?

If you are talking about the light green stuff I had that also on my new rock when the tank was starting out. I am not sure if it algae but it went away pretty quickly if my memory serves me.

Actually, I'm curious about the green, brown and the pinkish maroon that is mostly on the glass. Also, How long does everybody run their lights? I would like coraline to grow but not create a cyano factory because the stuff just doesn't sell very well... It's a 20h with some softies...

Last edited:
It will pass, Just keep diligent with the basics....water chemistry, nutrient export etc..

Here's another pic... I wish I could get my Bak Pak to skim better. I have a 1200 on it and it's just ok...

Last edited:
looks like a bit of cyanobacteria (the maroon) not a big deal in a new tank. It seems to me like the coraline does really well if I run the actinics longer. If I accidently run them all night I have to scrape the front glass in the morning. Scraping some off a rock that already has coraline in the tank will spread it around.

I'm running a 50/50 55 watt from hello lights. how long should I leave it on? And also, where might I get a ballast to boost it up 10 more watts? I know the bulb could handle it.

A few more snails in your clean-up crew and that filmy algae will be gone in no time. Diatoms too. I see you have at lleast one astrea snail. Turbo snails are especially good munchers. If the red is cyano, more flow would accelerate it's demise.

Do they have turbos at CRA? I have a Hydor Flo Rotator on a maxi 900. Maybe I should pick up a 1200. How long to leave the lights on. Everybody varies from 8-14 hrs.. Whats good for me?

Run the main lights 10 hours and the actinics 12 hours unless you just setup the tank then you can run them less so you dont grow any extra algea

Back