Does Xenia need Nitrates?

Brandon Davids

Non-member
I got some Xenia and they were doing great, they probably doubled in size and number in about a week. Then they started looking "thin" and stopped pumping as much.

I've heard that they need nitrates to be healthy. I've also recently added a hefty bunch of Chaeto. I took the Chaeto out temporarily to see if the Xenia looks better soon.

Obviously everything else in the tank looks great and my water quality is excellent.

I would also suspect that if the Xenia requires nitrates that their growth would be self limiting since the more growth the less nitrates available to them.

Any thoughts?

My tank has a nutrient problem.
I added some Xenia, thinking that if they grow in sewage outflow areas, they should do well in my tank.
The Xenia was okay for a few weeks, then I started getting a dinoflagellate outbreak and the Xenia wilted, melted, and died.

I had some pom pom xenia in my first reef, every time it wilted I knew it was time for a water change. IMO I dont think they like nitrates. They do however need iodine IMO (again :) ) to do good

Moe once said that the pumping corresponds to Alk levels, and they don't pump much when alk gets low. (I think it was moe)

I've also read that xenia not pumping is often related to slightly depressed PH (which would often correspond with depleted alk levels).

NateHanson said:
Moe once said that the pumping corresponds to Alk levels, and they don't pump much when alk gets low. (I think it was moe)
Yeah, I've said that. It's anectodtal evidence, though, and it seems to be a widely held theory on the boards. I wish I could take credit for the thought, but it was something I read way back during the alt.rec.aquaria.marine.reefs (newsgroup) days. :)

Back