dow flake question

eSoteric

less fish = more corals
I was wondering if you can add more than 2 1/2 (500g) of dow flake to 1 gallon of rodi water. Im looking to make a stronger solution than 37,000ppm.

Calcium chloride hexahydrate solubility limit is 279 grams per 100 ml of water (cold water) in hot water the limit is 536 g per 100 ml water (CRC handbook). I'd suggest you stay below 250 grams per 100 ml water. This limit means you add 250 grams to 100 ml water, NOT that you add 250 grams THEN add water to a total of 100 ml. The container will get very HOT, I suggest you use a glass container and be ready in case it boils over just from the heat of dissolution.

wow thats alot better than i thought. after that all sunk in i figure i can put up to 9600 grams into a gallon. haha not that i would. In a round about way you did answer my question, and i learned somehting at the same time lol. I can easily double the 2 1/2 cups to a gallon and be safe. i belive i read that 2 1/2 cups =500g of dow flake. So 1 gallon of water can easily take 1000g of dowflake. and make myself a very strong calcium buffer. However i think ill proably just stick to the 2 1/2 cup formula since its proven to work and it is the recommended amount.

thanks for that info greg.

thanks moe...now if i could just find some! got a half gallon last night. but it wont last to long i bet! my tank is really soaking up the calcium right now.

Back