downgrade to smaller tank, what I need to keep and what I do not need to keep?

zle

Non-member
I am going to dowgrade my current 55g to a 29g next week after I move into my new apartment. I need your opinions on what I need to save and resue when I setup my 29g. My 55g has been running for about 2 years. Rocks have quite a few of aptaisia, feather duster and lots of pets (mini snails, mini star fish..etc)...and possibly worms.
what would be the best way for me to downgrade and have a clean tank?

should I reuse all water?
should I reuse old sand bed?
should I need to cook all my live rocks?

thank you
Zhihao

Only true way to start fresh. New dry rock and new sand.

-Owen

I absolutely agree. Why take a chance with transfering those pests to your new tank. You won't need a ton of rock so some dry rock won't be too expensive. As far as the sand, I'd take a couple of cups to jump start cycling it and lose the rest.

For a 100% clean tank I agree fresh start if you can handle the month's of cycling.

But if you don't have time or space to do that (which it sounds like you might not with moving) I'd fill the new 29 with all old water and old liverock but get new sand with maybe a cup or two from your old tank. That's what I did when I downgraded and everything went fine.

To battle the aptaisia you could invest in some bergia nudibranch and if by worms you mean flatworms you could try FW exit or consider getting a fish that is known to eat them.

pests usually are either in the rocks or on the sand.
So to help you save times on the cycling process. Fill your 29g with old water.
go with new sand &
go with either new rocks, or bleach & dry all your rocks that you have now, cure in a separate container bin for 6 weeks and use them again.

clean out all of your equipments (skimmer, powerheads, heater....) when you setup your 29g.

good luck

As Dave said, I think it is going to come down to what you need. Do you have time to set up the new tank and wait a month to put any livestock you currently own into the new tank? Can you keep the 55 where it is now and move the livestock in a month, do you have room at your apartment for two tanks for a month or do you have someone who would be willing to hold onto your livestock until the new tank is ready? If not you may need to use what you have to avoid a cycle.

Back