Dr. Tim's Aquatics

Bobbofin

Non-member
After fighting Cyano for about a year I decided to battle it with ChemiClean. It did not work too well. I got advice to vacuum up the Cyano. I sold some rocks with some coral I wanted to get rid of and re-aquascaped my tank and vacuumed all the sand. I obviously stirred up something because now I got hair algae growing too!
I am trying Dr. Tim's Re-Fresh and Waste Away to clear everything up. dcforester1 and others highly recommend it compared to the other treatments. Anyone else try Dr. Tim's that would like to chime in?

Chemi-clean worked wonders for me as well. Some people had issues with it and it turned out they didnt have cyano, but dino's. Are you positive it is cyano and not dino's?

Chemi-clean worked wonders for me as well. Some people had issues with it and it turned out they didnt have cyano, but dino's. Are you positive it is cyano and not dino's?

Yup, it's cyano. No stringy snot bubbles, just orange rust colored on the sand and some on the rocks.

I used waste away with weekly water changes and vacuuming. Cleared it up in a month. I love the stuff.

I used refresh and lost 5 colonies of sps.2 over night after the first dose.3 more after the second dose.I have not added anything new to the tank except refresh.All condition are in range.My ph also went from a rock solid 8.3 to 8.59 after i dose the refresh.After dosing with refresh for 20 days,still have cyano.What a waste of $$$ IMO

After fighting Cyano for about a year I decided to battle it with ChemiClean. It did not work too well. I got advice to vacuum up the Cyano. I sold some rocks with some coral I wanted to get rid of and re-aquascaped my tank and vacuumed all the sand. I obviously stirred up something because now I got hair algae growing too!
I am trying Dr. Tim's Re-Fresh and Waste Away to clear everything up. dcforester1 and others highly recommend it compared to the other treatments. Anyone else try Dr. Tim's that would like to chime in?

If you used chemi clean and ended up with hair algae you didn't fix the problem. You have excess nutrients that you have to figure out how to control. The patches will only make it worse when it comes back.

Why not post you maintenance schedule and let the chips fall where they will while the quick cures will aid you in getting rid of the stuff if you do not step up your game maintenance wise you haven;t remedied the problem. That is one thing that hasn't changed in reefkeeping, although there are many quick cure/snake oil treatment out there. I mean how do you judge. someone is using bioballs they claim are excellent but they also use Dr Tim's also highly recommended. So what's what? Now add in they are losing a large part of their tank to STN/RTN.

you be the judge

Thanks Greg

I'm going to ride it out, keep up on maintenance, suck the stuff out, cut back on the lights and feeding. Sometimes in this hobby you make one little change or do something and everything falls to pieces. It can be frustrating especially after having a spotless tank for so long.

Yup, it's cyano. No stringy snot bubbles, just orange rust colored on the sand and some on the rocks.

Orange rust colored growth on the sand sounds more like diatoms to me than cyano. Cyano is usually a deep maroon and velvety looking, while diatoms can be more orange/rust/brown and dusty looking. Diatoms feed on excess silicates. What are you using for water? If you're using ro/di, how long since you changed your filters and DI cartridge?

Orange rust colored growth on the sand sounds more like diatoms to me than cyano. Cyano is usually a deep maroon and velvety looking, while diatoms can be more orange/rust/brown and dusty looking. Diatoms feed on excess silicates. What are you using for water? If you're using ro/di, how long since you changed your filters and DI cartridge?

Changed my RODI filter completely in January. Still getting zero TDS. Color changing DI half gone.

Did you use only Waste Away? Dr. Tim recommended Re-Fresh for two weeks and Waste Away for another two.

I only used Waste Away. I actually bought Mr. SWT's Guide on hair algae and followed it along. That was a component and it helped. The other things were no brainers, but the waste away was a big help.

Back