I like Dr. Tim's "Refresh"

Moe_K

Stabbed by Foulke
I've had a bunch of cyanobacteria grow in my tank. Been lazy with water changes, and over-feeding.

I got some Dr. Tim's Refresh and added to the sump per the directions, although I split the dose over two nights: half one night, second half the next night.
Next day I saw the cyano clearing up. I was impressed. There are still a few trouble spots, but Refresh sure did take care of a lot of the problem.

Hats off to dcforester1 for recommending it way back when.

Waste Away is supposed to further breaks down the crude in your tank. Just from looking at Dr Tim's products he recommends it in a two part treatment for Cyano.

Was just wondering if you took the full treatment or just refresh, always curious to see how things pan out for people.

I used Dr Tim's One & Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria to cycle my tank and I was impressed. It says you can add fish right away but I waited 2-3 weeks even though all ammonia and nitrates were gone in 7-10 days.

This is all interesting, but I feel I have to add this.

But wait, there's more. Like an infomercial.

It is good to hear about certain products and to more so hear the work the way they are intended.

Glad it worked for you Moe.

Bobbofin, I had heard of the nitrifying bacteria about four years back and wondered if it actually worked. BTW it was good to see you at the June meeting.

This is all interesting, but I feel I have to add this.

But wait, there's more. Like an infomercial.

It is good to hear about certain products and to more so hear the work the way they are intended.

Glad it worked for you Moe.

Bobbofin, I had heard of the nitrifying bacteria about four years back and wondered if it actually worked. BTW it was good to see you at the June meeting.

Go to see you too Chris!. I tried other cycling products and they do not work. Dr Tim's actually work because they are made from actual salt water bacteria not the fresh water bacterial crap other companies are trying to say works for salt water too. I do lobster tanks for Stop & Shop. We get "REAL" aqua-cultured bio-wheels from Marineland from salt water bacteria shipped in next day air from California. The customer can immediately load the tank with 75-100 lb of lobsters with out issues. Marineland has a lab that aqua-cultures the bio-wheels and charges $150 each plus next day air shipping. There's two in each tank but us as impatient Aquarist do not want to pay that or wait the month for the tank to cycle.

the combo of Refresh and Waste Away...is one of the best combos I have ever used...and I use it often...as unlike most other products on the market that are just band aids to cover up an underlying issue/problem the combo of these two products actually combats and goes after the root of the problem, with actual live and beneficial bacteria. to out compete the cyano for the nutrients it is feeding on. We need to remember that there are TONS of micro nutrients that we could never test for...and even when we do test they are just a small sample of what is in the water column....rarely do they give us true insight as to what is really going on down deep in the crevices of our little glass Sea Abyss....lol

Glad to see someone bringing these products up....Dr.Tim does not get nearly the credit he deserves...HE is a bacterial genius. Any of you old school hobbyist will remember the original Marineland Bio Spira (that had to be kept in a refrigerator) the BEST cycling bacteria product I have ever used. Well, Dr.Tim created that (and actually still has bacteria strains from the original batch alive....)

the combo of Refresh and Waste Away...is one of the best combos I have ever used...and I use it often...as unlike most other products on the market that are just band aids to cover up an underlying issue/problem the combo of these two products actually combats and goes after the root of the problem, with actual live and beneficial bacteria. to out compete the cyano for the nutrients it is feeding on. We need to remember that there are TONS of micro nutrients that we could never test for...and even when we do test they are just a small sample of what is in the water column....rarely do they give us true insight as to what is really going on down deep in the crevices of our little glass Sea Abyss....lol

Glad to see someone bringing these products up....Dr.Tim does not get nearly the credit he deserves...HE is a bacterial genius. Any of you old school hobbyist will remember the original Marineland Bio Spira (that had to be kept in a refrigerator) the BEST cycling bacteria product I have ever used. Well, Dr.Tim created that (and actually still has bacteria strains from the original batch alive....)

This is what I am looking for.

The information makes sense and the only issue is is there enough experiences to prove the claim that what is in the bottle is what they say it is. And it seems to be the case that it is.

I mean how different is it from adding LR or Sand from a healthy system to add more diversity only targeted and more concentrated.

I've used refresh and waste away in the past and always been impressed I always think I should periodically use it but always forget until it is too late. Good stuff I'd recommend to anyone

No, Dr. Tim, was the lead scientist at Marineland back in the day(...when there were still good independent companies) before they were bought up by UPG (United Pet Group) who, like Central Garden & Pet..and a few other big corporations, have completely ruined and watered down every company they bought. Almost everyone good at those companies left and either started there own or joined with other good companies.
But, Dr.Tim landed on his own feet and has been producing amazing products for the pond, freshwater, and marine hobby and industry for many years and I am sure will be doing so for many more...

Back