Dragonface Red Bug Eater

Daragon

Non-member
In the near future, I'm setting up a Seahorse and Pipefish tank and I was reading up on them and I found this about the Dragonface Pipefish...

This species of pipefish has been found to consume the micro-amphipod commonly referred to as the dreaded "Red Bugs" that have now become prevalent in reef aquariums that contain Acropora coral. Red Bug infestations on Acropora corals have been shown to inhibit polyp extension and growth, while causing shifts or loss in coloration. After the pipefish is accustomed to the surroundings and tankmates in the reef aquarium, they will quickly seek out these red bugs as a food source.

You can read the whole thing here...

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=282

nice put a 250 over the tank and every new frag drop it in for a cleaning before putting it in your main display

Sorry, I thought this thread was about a Red Bug Eating fish and not about research...

There have been some discussions about this in previous Red Bug threads, and it sounds like the informed consensus is that the pipes are too timid and slow to be an effective biological control of the bugs. I also understand that they are very difficult to keep in a reef tank, as they are very slow eaters, don't deal well with high flow, and will be intimidated by other fish.

Nate

I was able to keep dragon faces for several months on two separate occasions, with great difficulty. They were fed enriched nauplii 3-4 times a day, and I believe they lasted as long as they did because the tank they were in was rich with copepods. Seventy percent of the foods that LiveAquaria recommends are far too large for their extremely tiny mouths, even adult live brine are too large.
Also they do not swim freely in the water column, rather they crawl, slither over the rocks in search of prey. I doubt that they would be sufficientley aeffective as a red bug deterrent.

http://community.webshots.com/album/21792310uiLqbTWNxZ

jango said:
Yeah, why would you want to research...

Huh???? What are you talking about? I am researching but this thread is about Pipefish eating Red Bugs, not research. If you like, start a thread on research. Better yet, I'll start it for you...

Back