Drill a 2.5 gallon AGA?

MAReefer1

lol, I have a tank, sorta
I thought that I read somewhere that you couldnt drill a tank that small? I wanted to drill two holes, one for the overflow and one for the return.

Can I drill the tank?

Thanks,
Donal.

You can do it but...... even a 10 gallon is sketchy, I also find that even if you get the hole in it without breaking (probably 50-50) It will be prone to break with the slightest torque in the future.

how large of a hole should I do for the overflow and return? so when you say the "slightest" does that litterally mean even bumping it?

how large of a hole should I do for the overflow and return? so when you say the "slightest" does that litterally mean even bumping it?
I would probably use either a 1/2 or 3/4' but not a bulkhead, if you went with a threaded **male adaptor on the inside and a female 90 (thread) on the outside**, that would keep the hole size down and keep the back fitting close to the tank (less chance of bumping). I'd also consider using a dremel for the hole as a dimond bit would IMO be too costly (for just one hold, odd size) and cause too much trama.

second half of the question ...Yes!

** either cut your own gasket or search around for a male adaptor with a nice square shoulder some brands have them...then you can use an o-ring.**

couple questions, would the risk be less if I used a 5 gallon AGA instead?

Can I get all of these plumbing parts that you mentioned at HD or Lowes?

Thanks,
Donal.

Maybe slightly less, but if you can fit a 5 just jump up to that, better all around.
I've found HD and Lowes to be hit or miss in those sizes (especialy a threaded 90) I use FW Web not sure how close one is for you but at least you could get some help if needed too.

thanks, i think im going to just get do it with a 5 gallon, and use a 2.5 as the fuge.

I found this for ya ...it shows the fittings I'm talking about pretty well.
Hmmm for some reason they will not let me link to the exact page only the home page, but their search function is pretty good "PVC adaptor" brings you to the page I'm talking about

Back