drill bits and bulkheads - help.

guidance needed from cutter experts.

I can find Savko's bulkhead
1" for a 2" hole, 1.5" for 2 5/8" hole

I can find Pentair Aquatics
1" for a 1 3/4" hole, 1.5" for 2 3/8" hole

I look up AmeriGlass Bits (always suggested)
they have 1 3/4", 2", 2 1/4", 2 1/2", 2 3/4"

bit sizes dont match up to well.

are there others sources?

thx in advance.

If you haven't purchased bulkheads I have some new ones you can measure up I think. I know I have a few 1 inch & 3/4. You can match with the proper bit. Don't worry....It doesn't have to be exact to the millimeter. You will have heavy rubber gasket with the bulkheads. Sent you a pm.

yeah. Aqua is right.

The holes have to be big enough that the bulkheads fit, and not so big that they fall through.

The gasket takes care of the rest.

I have 1 3/4" and 2 1/2" for 1" and 1 1/2" respectivly and they work perfect, But I'm not sure the brand of bulkhead .... so I guess thats not much help. If you want I can check tomorrow ...just give a call.

Ed,

Depends on the bulkheads. The savko bulkheads that require a 2" hole for a 1" bulkhead are sch80 bulkheads. They also carry the sch40 bulkheads which require a 1 3/4" hole.

Hope that helps!

so I'm ok using the Pentair Aquatics
1" for a 1 3/4" hole, 1.5" for 2 3/8" hole

with the AmeriGlass Bit
they have 1 3/4", 2 1/2" - no problem oversizing a bit (no pun)

any problem with the brands on these?

Ok Mike here's the deal - redoing my stuff in the cellar, adding a 60 gal. frag tank I got that was a display at Macna and improving those things from the first time around. Those "I wish I had" things. taking my time, thinking about it slowly.

notice the built in chiller in the window. no more cellar heat. I will drill a couple of extra holes in case some day the drop-in dies. I'd do an inline next time around.

the raised frag tank will be in line with the drains from the upstairs 125 so there wont be a need for an additional pump.

all the equipment will fit under the frag tank to keep everything somewhat organized. power panel behind the frag tank shielded from any water spray etc.

using a 120 again since I like the extra space in case my tank drains during power problems. I only use about 3/4 of it and like the security and extra space. 1/2 for a sump and 1/2 for a fuge.

I'll have more flexibility, less clutter, better organized, and I'll use less watts overall. except for a frag light I havent figured out yet. work in progress.

anyone interested in a non-drilled 120 when I'm done?

Last edited:
Ed, it looks good. I am planning similar work this spring. Larger sump, frag tank inline with my main setup and I love the idea of venting the chiller outdoors. All excellent things.

Good stuff.

Yeah, winter is a good time to cut holes in exterior walls to vent a chiller.

Actually, I'm in planning stages. What did you use on your walls to seal them up like that ?

wrassefan said:
Looks like Drylock or Thoroseal.

drylock.

use a window or if needed - drill from the inside out its warmer that way.
agrin.gif

Back