drilling advice for returns

deynon09

Mid-life Reefer
I just got a 75 gallon (undrilled) and I want to mod it. Here's what I have on the way this week:

dual 1.5" 1500 gph overflow (per advice of theirs, plus I do like the dual overflow just in case. I know it's overkill, but it'll get plenty of flow).

Now my question is what sized bulkheads/nozzles should I get if I'm going to get a mag12 from a fellow member? He suggested .75" piping, so I'm assuming that if I have 2 return nozzles (each pumping ~700 gph) what size would anyone here suggest. I know I posted a thread here but that was for a 30 gallon. Thoughts?

Hello

You wouldn't get ~700GPH out of each nozzle, that would be the total amount of flow which would be divided by the number of outlets.

If it were me I would drill the returns for 1" bulkheads and use 1" PVC for the return line. I suggested .75" in the PM because that is was the MAG has for connections. By using the larger diameter PVC you would be able to get more flow, which if it turned out to be more then you wanted you could throttle the pump back with ball valves at each return.

I would think either .75" or 1" would work fine.

How about two 1" and a 1" squid connected to switch back and forth??

(The simpler .75" squids stunk in terms of reliability, but I'm dying to know how the 1" servicable models work...;), dont' take this as a product endorsion)

I got the return heads from skipton and now I need a 1.5" diamond drill bit. Anyone near Cape have one I use for 2 holes?

The squid was a piece that Rusty gave me, so that'll work perfectly!

If you want 1 1/2 " drains your hole you need to drill is not 1 1/2 " i think it is like 2 1/4" for an 1 1/2" bulkhead and 1 3/4" for a 1" bulkhead

The return bulkhead has a sticker on it that says the hole needs to be drilled at max 1-1/2". That's where I got the numbers.

Back