dripping kalk?

As much water as you evaporate per day, drip that much kalkwasser per day.
Your evaporation rate is going to vary.

no and no my ph as of now is 7.71 which is low but dripping timer wont start for an hour. I was adding dow flake and baking soda but now I have the aqua tronica controller I started adding kalk.But my ph is usually around 8.0 so thats the reason why I asked about the kalk to get it back up

Kalk is not the way to artificially lift your ph. it sounds as if your alk and kh are not balanced.

I drip kalwasser but only at night to help keep the ph steady. I mix two gallons of r/o water with three tsp of kalwasser. I also use the two part Randy Holmes-Farley recipe to maintain the extra cal and alk that the tanks uses up. Ph stays at 8.2-8.3

How much baking soda are you adding? If the baking soda is not baked before use it will have a tendency to lower ph.

first ? Nate calcium is 400 and alk is 8 a little low but i will add tonight.And mostly sps with a little lps and 1 softy
2nd ? Liam i dont have to bake my baking soda because my ph is usually 8.1 but now that Im dripping my ph falls to 7.77 before the lights turn on.

Moe_K said:
As much water as you evaporate per day, drip that much kalkwasser per day.
Your evaporation rate is going to vary.

thats exactly what I do. comes out to be about 2-3 gallons. my ph stays at 8.1-8.3

G.T said:
Kalk is not the way to artificially lift your ph. it sounds as if your alk and kh are not balanced.
I'm not sure what you mean.
Kalkwasser is a balanced calcium carbonate solution.
Alkalinity is how we measure carbonate in our tank water.
pH is related to our alkalinity (and thus carbonate) concentration.

So, if you're adding kalkwasser, with it's pH of around 12, you're going to boost alkalinity (carbonate), boost pH, and increase calcium.

Kalkwasser is a fine way to accomplish these ends. As the sole calcium carbonate supplement, kalkwasser works best in smaller systems, or those with low calcium carbonate demand. In other systems, kalkwasser should make a fine additional supplement.

I just didnt know if I could add 2 gallons of kalk a night or if it was to much? Didnt want to add this to my system with knowing what i was getting into. Thanks every1 for your info

Jay

hey Jay,
I topoff my tank with kalk all day long, 24/7 and not only at night, I have about 2.5 to 3g of evaporation p/day.

I dose about 3.5 gal in 12 hour light off period. It maintains the ph in 8.1 range. I used to dose it 24 hours, but it raised the ph a bit too much during light time.

Back