Dry Flake vs Home-Made Fish Goo

Definitely agree. I had tried the wter changes for a long time. Then I read that water changes are BAD for dinos...so I stopped. Recently I started doing them regularly again since the dinos had subsided. But it seems that the dry food makes a big difference. Perhaps it is the increased water changes AND the Formula 1 Flake food together that is helping?

funny as it be, i had a hugh cyano and dino problem for months (i think 4-6 to be specific). I removed my refugium, sump and skimmer and switched to weekly water changes and that fixed everything. So i guess what i'm saying is theres multiple ways to resolve export nutrient problems. yours may be just what your tank needed!

Can you go into a little more detail regarding "whole food items"? Specifically wnat are the ingredients and how are they prepared?

As a reference talking point, my homade food is raw chopped up clams, shrimp, scallops, squid, Reef Nutrition Frozen, Mysis. I chop the big stuff individually then add the mysis and frozen. I never use a blender.

But still, the flake food is really making a difference in my tank as far as staving off algae.

Pellets it seems would even be better, as long as they provide the correct nutrition. I would definitely consider this type of food.

I take frozen hikari mysis(not freshwater pe mysis),hikari spirulina enriched brine.I melt them in a large bowl of tank water,swish them around a little and then strain off all the liquid.I then add cylopeeze,baby brine,rotifers,oyster eggs and shredded nori.I then flat pack them in ziplocks,there is a enough moisture in the brine and mysis for freezing.

The key IMO is not to blend or in anyway cut whole food items.
If you cut up a clam all the bodily fluid leaks out regardless how you do it.
I select food items that are naturally suitable size wise for the organism i am trying to feed.

Food for Thought

Thanks Liam. Very informative - and less work too!:rolleyes:
I like the "less work" part!:p

I take frozen hikari mysis(not freshwater pe mysis),hikari spirulina enriched brine.I melt them in a large bowl of tank water,swish them around a little and then strain off all the liquid.I then add cylopeeze,baby brine,rotifers,oyster eggs and shredded nori.I then flat pack them in ziplocks,there is a enough moisture in the brine and mysis for freezing.

The key IMO is not to blend or in anyway cut whole food items.
If you cut up a clam all the bodily fluid leaks out regardless how you do it.
I select food items that are naturally suitable size wise for the organism i am trying to feed.

What about additives like Selco, HUFA supplements or amino acids etc?

When purchasing flake or pellet foods, I try to make sure the first few ingredients are not wheat germ etc. I am a believer in variety, use a high quality of flake or pellet and frozen foods.

Sounds like if there are not enough filter feeders, fish goo will not be totally consumed?

I've heard of concerns about fish getting "sick" after being fed frozen food that has been thawed, and then re-frozen.

Any thoughts about this?

I live far from all the fish stores my food tends to thaw I have not had a problem yet. I try to bring a cooler but sometimes I forget.I am sure there could be problems with fish getting sick just like our food should not thaw then refreeze bacteria can form

Here's what I don't understand. Does it really matter if the food is consumed whole or if the juices get out? From a phosphate point of view? Does the fish use enough of the phosphate to make a difference or does it all just end up in the water column anyway once it comes out the other end?

Back