Dual In line TDS meter... any interest?

natehat

Heading West
I need one and would like to pay a little over 20$

There was a group buy for these a couple months ago... just looked up the info and it looks like if we get 10 they are ~22$ each.

if any local shops are thinking of a deal on these with the RO/DI sales, post here :) because people getting new RO/DIs might want to pick one of these up.

anyone interested?

here is the link from the last group buy

http://www.freshwatersystems.com/products/index/p1228/1228/None/None

the model was: DM-1 In-Line Dual TDS Meter

I would be fine with that one... looks like the basic standard type. but would be happy with any unit that works well if anyone has different suggestions

is there a big advantage to more expensive units? i am guessing all they do is measure resistance so i can not see why a more expensive unit has much worth for this kind of application

Last edited:
How do you set those up with the RO/DI system? I might be interested if the price is right on it.

Chris

How many?

I "lost" a box of expensive aquarium gadgets and a box of expensive tools in the move to my new place. (I tipped those movers really well, too. :mad: ) Just realized my hand held TDS meter is also missing.

Thinking out loud...

I have a four stage: micron, carbon, RO, DI.

There are several points worth measuring, since the different system components are replaced at different times:

Tap
after micron cartridge
after carbon
after RO
after DI

Although the tap quality is interesting to know, it's not likely to vary much in the short term. Even if it does, that's a bigger problem than the scope we are talking about. So, not a critical test point.

The micron cartridge can be tested visually. (If it looks nasty, change it.) So, not a critical test point. On my system, you could not easily add a monitor connection after this point anyway.

Wouldn't after the carbon stage be a really useful, if not critical, test point? I was told that I should replace carbon roughly once for every two micron cartridge changes. If I had a test point here, I could see how much improvement a new micron cartridge made and decide whether or not to swap out carbon at that time. So, a useful test point.

After your RO stage is the key measure for drinking water purity. So, a critical test point.

DI swap outs will vary widely depending on source water and use rate, and this is the key measure for aquarium health. So, a critical test point.

Question: have I just talked myself into buying two test units? :D

Joe

My DI cartridge changes colors as it gets closer to the end of its useful life. Maybe you don't need a TDS test point there. I wonder how reliable this visual test is?

I still want two. :D

What's the likely time frame? I finally got my granite counter drilled a couple of weeks ago, so I want to set up my RO\DI ASAP and move on to the next challenge. Like buying a tank. :cool:

I would like to grab one soon too... set up my RO/DI, but want to make sure it is working well before using it for the aquarium-

looks like we have 6 interested so far, if we get 4 more we can set up an order online for the price break at 10, still haven't heard if any sponser is interested :)

bump.....

thought i would check one more time if anyone else is interested in one or 2 of these- looks like we still need 4 more to get the price break online, or a nice local sponsor :) who would like to set up a group price

I might need one. I still don't know. Depending if I buy an RoDi soon enough. Any recommendation on RoDi unit?

It seems like an hard question to answer... if you search for RO/DI in this forum you will find a lot of advice. I just got a used one form some guy on craigslist who bought it then changed his mind about needing it. I would go for cheapest myself, with a TDS meter you can tell if it is working right anyway. only thing i would recommend for sure if you are going to use it for drinking water is a holding tank, because without it you will wait too long for a glass of water if you are impatient-

Marco at fishy business was having a sale this month on them

Thanks nate. I did hear about Marco. But I don't know where is his store? Is he going to post the list and price on the forum? What about those that are sold on Ebay?

Back