Duncan Issues

Matt W

Chemist
BRS Member
fd9fc9b7ec963b6e4ea6b8fa2dffac77.jpg

Over the past week or two I had noticed my Duncan’s heads were closing more than usual. It now appears to have some tissue loss. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No major recent changes in parameters (8.5 alk, 430 Ca, 1300 Mg, 2 ppm NO3, 0.06 P, 8.2 pH, 34 ppt, 79F) or livestock (1-2 emerald crab, clown, six line wrasse, royal gramma). The ducan tissue doesn't appear brown, but heads are closed.

Have the clowns been hanging around it lately?
Change the flow of the tank?

Not really, she mostly hosts in the RBA. I slightly reduced my flow by 15% (two MP10s in 40g, running @ about 40% throughout day)

Can you dip it with seachem reefdip to see if it will improve?

Mine started going looked the same after neglect/ alkalinity swings. I dipped mine in iodine and it stopped deteriorating. Lost 3 heads dipped it when 2.5 were gone.

I would do either the seachem dip or iodine and watch/wait

Thanks! I will try dipping. The SC reefdip is arriving tomorrow, but I do have povidone-iodine solution. Is it worth waiting for the reefdip?

For iodine solution, mix with tank water to form a light tea color solution, dip for 10 minutes.
When you get the SC reefdip, follow the instructions and give it a second dip a day later. If you see improvement, dip it again a day later.

Back