Dwarf angels

Chris L

Nano reefing
BRS Member
Who keeps them? What kind do you have? And do you get a lot of nipping? I found a rusty angel That I am very tempted to get, I never really like them but this one is drawing me in lol

Flame angels are one of my favorite fish. Tried one in my reef, but had to rehome very shortly after. It seemed to believe that acan, blastos and zoas were candy. As always, your experience may vary.

I’m n my opinion You need to feed your tank heavily and offfer Seeweed on the clip. They don’t eat coral unless they don’t have a foodsource.
They are grazers the one I have now eats the algae on my glass and the seaweed on the clip. I feed reef frenzy in the morning and sometime pe mysis at night.It’s fat and happy

I’ve had
flame
Coral beauty
Rusty
Pygmy
Potters

no issues with any of them.

I had a Half black angel and it decimated my acans, 2 sps and a few lps. I tent to feed on the heavy side but it didnt matter. he like the corals better than the food.

but everyone has different experiences. Too bad cause I love the looks of the potters. Did have good luck with coral beauty. some fish more peaceful than others, even in the same species

I've had a flame angel (along with emperor and majestic) for two months in an sps-only tank. So far, no evidence of damage to the corals, which are growing nicely. Knock on wood.

I've had a number of different ones over the years. Flame, lemon-peel, coral beauty, golden. About 1-2 year ago I picked up a tank raised coral beauty, cut little thing. Slow to grow, but has been very well behaved in a mixed reef system. All of these angels are somewhat risky in a reef tank, but if the tank is large enough and you don't starve the fish generally there are no big problems, IME.

I have had a flame angel for a long time in my old mixed reef and never had an issue. I have one now and have seen no signs of picking. I believe in feeding my fish not starving them so maybe that why, Im a heavy feeder, my fish are fat and Happy .

I have a Flame and a Bicolor angel in a 100. They don't seem to bother SPS or LPS.
They are very well fed!

There were some tense moments in the beginning as the Flame asserted dominance and chased the other around a lot.
Then the Bicolor out-grew the Flame and the tables turned.

Now two years later, they are buddies.

My old flame angel was a model citizen up until I added a specific coral he wanted to pick at. And it was a coral I had in the system already, but instead of the green I had already, I added a pink strain and he took right to it. Chewed it to bone.

I have a Pygmy right now that is a model citizen no issues ever. I recently had a nice African flame back gorgeous fish no nipping issues but holy hell did it become aggressive. I had to turn it in because it started going after other fish

I have had a pygmy angel in a mixed reef for a several years now. No issues with agressiveness or nipping. After reading these posts, I really want to add another, maybe a flame or a lemonpeel.

Back