Dwarf Zebra Hermit Crab question

beckisguy73

Non-member
ok I have a 29G Biocube and it seems to be growing this nasty red slime algae and as I read it seems like these little hermits will eat this stuff.. well I was on Ebay and seen what seems to be a good deal for these things..200 of them with free shipping and nobody is bidding and the bid is at $55.. so the question is??? is this too many of these things for my tank?
thank you in advance

Mike

IMO i would not suggest any more than 15-20 in a 29 gal. You will have ALOT of dead crabs lying around if you get 200 of them. Plus it depends on what else you have for a CUC

ok I have a 29G Biocube and it seems to be growing this nasty red slime algae and as I read it seems like these little hermits will eat this stuff.. well I was on Ebay and seen what seems to be a good deal for these things..200 of them with free shipping and nobody is bidding and the bid is at $55.. so the question is??? is this too many of these things for my tank?
thank you in advance

Mike

crabs do not eat cyano slime algae. you would be wasting your money. Only lowering the amount of nutrients in your tank is going to make that go away....

I have a couple of zebras in my tank (24g nanocube) and have never seen them do anything productive like eating algae. If you have other hermits or snails in your CUC I really wouldn't recommend them. I have found that they are more aggressive than the regular blue and scarlet legged hermits and I am pretty sure I can attribute the deaths of half of my snails and other hermits to the two of them. I actually saw one kill a blue legged hermit for its shell (by the time I was able to interfere the blue had already had several legs pulled off, been pulled out of its shell and the zebra was attacking its belly - I picked up the zebra and dropped it behind some rocks on the other side of the tank and moved a couple of empty shells around the injured blue hermit in an attempt to help but within minutes the zebra had somehow found its way back and zeroed in to attack the blue again). It then tried on the new shell and promptly discarded it to go back to his old shell. So unless you're only going to have zebras (and I bet they'll fight amongst themselves) from my experience I wouldn't recommend them.

Back