eco tech lighting experts?

rnyce

Non-member
Hey guys,
i am having a hard time with eco techs and hard corals. All my softies are doing awesome but the hard stuff just gets nuked.
I am running three of them on 125 about 50 % max.
anybody have success with hard corals growth.

You are not the only one. Take a look at RC and you will find more people with similar experience.

they turned brown and stayed brown for ever then of course bleaching.
i will check out rc thanks

How have you been acclimating them to the lights? What type of lights were they under before? What are your nitrate/phosphate levels? Have you been dosing alk/calc/mag? What are your current alk/calc/mag levels? What color temperature are you running on your radions? What color temperature were they under before the switch?

There are many factors that can contribute to browning/bleaching....

Last edited:
I have 3 Montis under my radions. I have had them a little over a month, so time will tell. With that said, so far so good. I've even noticed slight growth. I do know that the corals came from a led lit tank.too Just my 2 cents, don't know if it helps.

I have 3 Montis under my radions. I have had them a little over a month, so time will tell. With that said, so far so good. I've even noticed slight growth. I do know that the corals came from a led lit tank.too Just my 2 cents, don't know if it helps.

Yes, that does have something to do with it as well. There are vendors that are growing out their frags using LED, so that there is less stress during acclimation.

I got rid of mine. I spent a year adjust it six ways to Sunday trying to get red acans not to look orange and gave up. My experience wasn't really bad but not all that EcoTech promised. I currently have a ATI 6 bulb dimmable and love it.

im in similar boat, i have been trying slow acclimation but i am thinking to going to t5 solution. Never had any real problems and heat is not a issue. i have dosers set up doing calcium and mag and alk.
Its interesting my monti's are doing well and chalices. (no real growth though)

Yes, that does have something to do with it as well. There are vendors that are growing out their frags using LED, so that there is less stress during acclimation.

Vendors use LED to keep corals alive long enough to sell them (save energy plus great color under LED too). There is no known aquaculture farms in US use LED to grow coral (some tried and went back to halide, t-5 or sunlight), at least not yet.
Thanks

Leds can grow fine. You need to acclimate corals slowly.

Not all vendors care about "turnover".

And many aquaculture facilities are starting to use leds, cost being the limiting factor.

I watched a video on YouTube by dr mac and he mentioned he is trying to go leds. Also 4 of our aquaculture facilities are going with leds (I can't mention who because of business secrets / interests).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

i think the leds are awesome in many aspects, but im not sure i can keep dedicating the time to adjust them and or constantly adjust corals and positions. I will just not get any hard corals. then maybe when someone figures out how to dial the ecotechs in i will go forward.
some pics to tank.
Would love your guys feed back.
http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo224/rnyce/2013-03-01070954.jpg
http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo224/rnyce/2013-03-01070954.jpg
http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo224/rnyce/2013-03-11171539-1.jpg

Leds can grow fine. You need to acclimate corals slowly.

Not all vendors care about "turnover".

And many aquaculture facilities are starting to use leds, cost being the limiting factor.

I watched a video on YouTube by dr mac and he mentioned he is trying to go leds. Also 4 of our aquaculture facilities are going with leds (I can't mention who because of business secrets / interests).

Thanks Archit that pionted it out that some aquaculture farms are trying to get into LED again with the new generations of LED technologies showing up in EU. But their price is prohibitively expensive so far. Those are not LED we can buy on the US market, some of them are German Trion Light Field are custom made and can cost as much as a small car.

Thanks Archit that pionted it out that some aquaculture farms are trying to get into LED again with the new generations of LED technologies showing up in EU. But their price is prohibitively expensive so far. Those are not LED we can buy on the US market, some of them are German Trion Light Field are custom made and can cost as much as a small car.

Believe what you want :) like I said, my suppliers (which are all in US since I can't import corals directly) have already started using leds and switching from mh. And these are not wholesalers, but rather aquaculture farms.

I'll leave it at that and if anyone has any questions, please feel free to pm me.

my suppliers (which are all in US since I can't import corals directly) have already started using leds and switching from mh. And these are not wholesalers, but rather aquaculture farms.

Great to hear that you are supporting US based farms. I hope more retailers are doing what you are doing!
If you look into more details of those farms, are you sure they are not using LED to color corals up instead of growing them from seeds to colonies? Thanks

No LED debate here.

Personal experience.

I have a 5ft aquarium. Switched from a 4ft 8 bulb T5 to 3 Radion Gen 2s on January 26th. I started at 50 percent overall intensity with all colors at 100 percent. That is the 12K setting. I bumped the intensity 10 percent weekly until i hit 100 percent. I have not moved any corals, nor lost any corals. All softies, LPS and SPS have grown better and shown better color.

Why i started at 50 percent. I started at 10 percent in the live view, and increased intensity until it was close to how my T5s looked. That was 50 percent. I had no browning or bleaching. In fact, i had a couple corals that browned under my T5s bounce back incredibly. Notably, anything with purple in it.

Vendors use LED to keep corals alive long enough to sell them (save energy plus great color under LED too). There is no known aquaculture farms in US use LED to grow coral (some tried and went back to halide, t-5 or sunlight), at least not yet.
Thanks

that is right. Pat at Aqua Addicts used to run Radion and AI all over his show room tanks.
Guess what, not any more. he replaced them all with T5.
ask him, maybe he will share some experiences with us

Last edited:
I use 2 radions on my 120 and run them at 85% and not one of my corals ever bleached. I think bleaching is from a cocktail of variables not just one or the other so sometimes it just doesn't make sense. I've heard that LED light is harsh on corals so that is probably the best explanation i've heard for the slow acclimation time period. I started at 60% and upped mine 2% every week.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21363188570.438550.jpg

Mine. Like 1 and a half month growth
Ecotech radion

Back