Electric Shock

WarSea378

Non-member
In the last 6mos or so I have owned my tank; I have made some great DIY additions, however I have been zapped once or twice, but admittedly from carelessness (as we all know water spilling can get a bit out of control sometimes, haha)...

...I have a small paper cut on my thumb, fresh but nothing at all serious. I placed my "clean" hand into the refugium and felt a shock at my cut. It was a surprise more than hurt, but since my skin was thick enough, I never noticed I have some loose voltage in my system.

My biggest fear is I have something electrically faulty in my tank and finding which needs to be replaced will be a tough job and expensive. Can I get some kind of grounding rod that won't break the bank??

i think you have some kind of open ground.....best thing you can do is buy a ground prob from one of your lfs ....most should carry this

I'm aware of them, thank you. I'm not too familiar with much outside what they do, meaning, I will still have the open ground? Does that mean I have something faulty, or is it some kind of excess charge from all the electrical components I use. Either way, I will be picking one up, thank you.

A ground probe is good prevention from getting electrocuted, but not a solution if equipment is malfunctioning. In this case, it sounds like you need to figure out what piece of equipment is causing the problem and fix it. Remember though, this is a little tricky, as a saltwater aquarium is essentially a big battery, when magnetic field shift around it, you can induce currents. However, If your actually getting a shock, it seems that something is broken and in that case, needs to be fixed ASAP to avoid something worse happening.

A ground probe is good prevention from getting electrocuted, but not a solution if equipment is malfunctioning. In this case, it sounds like you need to figure out what piece of equipment is causing the problem and fix it. Remember though, this is a little tricky, as a saltwater aquarium is essentially a big battery, when magnetic field shift around it, you can induce currents. However, If your actually getting a shock, it seems that something is broken and in that case, needs to be fixed ASAP to avoid something worse happening.

^^^^ + 1 ^^^^ Best thing anyone can do for themselves,family,home,tank.... GFI,GFI,GFI

Back