electric shock

firstimer

Non-member
i was in the process of moving my tank today. had the water in the temporary tank. i put in the heater and skimmer. touched the water and i got electric shock! so i thought it was either my heater or the skimmer. i took each out and tested it. at first both were shocking me... i ended up dumping the water out. drop to petco and got a new heater. had new water in. everything is back to normal.. phew...

now im testing the heater and skimmer again in a bucket... now i'm not getting shocked............... :mad: not sure if it was bc i was holding the styerofoam boxes or not.. or my fingers were wet?? but i got shocked from the end of the skimmer/heater. opposite end of the plug...

any idea??

Get a volt meter so you don't kill yourself. Then try one thing at a time till you find the problem. While your at it check an make sure the wall plug is wired correctly. You can get a plug in thing for that from home depot.

it was plugged into my reefkeper. but for some reason at the end of the wire where it goes into the pump/heater - that end was creating some kind of shock. but after taking it out of the water and trying it again - the shock was gone... it was weird.. i thought my heater/skimmer was ruined.

Back