energy efficient small pumps

NateHanson

Non-member
I'm doing some preliminary thinking about setting up a tank.

One thought is to do a nano with a simple sump in the basement.

Say a 15g tank, with a 20-30g sump.

I'm looking for recommendations on the most efficient way to run the return and skimmer.

Am I correct that a small needlewheel skimmer would be the cheapest-to-run skimmer for a small tank like this?

I generally don't like submersible return pumps, because of crappy performance and efficiency. But I only would need about 300 gph of flow after an 8' head loss. What would you recommend for a small efficient pump at that size?

I'm debating whether to do a sump or not for a small tank. Pros are more capacity, less clutter in the tank. Cons are bigger project, more operating cost (a 60w pump costs like $10/month - money I could spend on donuts, or boat wax! :))

Nate, a small needlewheel is going to be cheaper, watts-wise. you also ought to look at mesh-mods. I'd tell you to look at the oceanrunner pumps for your return, but you said you don't like submersibles.....

My octopus skimmer has been easy on the watts, and was easy on the wallet when I bought it.

Oh yeah, welcome bck to the darkside....you've been on the sidelines long enough :D

Nate, If your going to do a small tank just use the tank itself for the sump....

My 2 tanks cost me like $24 per month...........

jbj 12g wattage use (total 15g w/hob fuge)

MJ 900 return pump 9.5w
minijet 404 fuge feed pump 5w
tunze DOC 9002 skimmer 10w
2 koralia nano's 3.5w each
70w MH
2 8w t-5's for fuge

30g finnex wattage use.

finnex 533 gph return pump ? ( i'm replacing it, it couldnt push 500gph with minus 10ft of head pressure.......) will be using a 300gph quiet one......( this pump T's off the return and feeds the fuge via an adjustable dial. Qone will consume 25w
tunze DOC 9002 skimmer 10w
2 tunze 6025's 6w each
150w MH with 2x24w t-5 actinics.
13w fuge light.
Also have a couple minijet 404's for this tank, as I have a phos reactor and am debating on whether to add a large HOB fuge........problem is It needs to be custom made......and gustavo is MIA.......

Imho grab the finnex 30g barebones as they're lights are far from reliable......and toss a tunze DOC 9002 skimmer in it.......I doubt you'll find a skimmer to match its performance in the same wattage/size class.......

FYI the tunze skimmer is rated for up to 52g........the finnex is about 26G full....due to the sump being part of the tank......

link...http://www.finnex.net/itemdetail.php?id=59

Last edited:
Nate, a small needlewheel is going to be cheaper, watts-wise. you also ought to look at mesh-mods. I'd tell you to look at the oceanrunner pumps for your return, but you said you don't like submersibles.....
I'd love recommendations of submersibles. My experience is with viaaqua and mag pumps, and it was less than stellar. I figure for such a small size it might be hard to get an efficient external pump, so if I can't get an appropriate external I'll go submersible.
My octopus skimmer has been easy on the watts, and was easy on the wallet when I bought it.
Yeah, seems like those are the needlewheel-knockoff to get these days. Thanks for the rec.

Oh yeah, welcome bck to the darkside....you've been on the sidelines long enough :D

You haven't got your claws in me yet!!! I haven't bought anything, and I could cancel my comeback at any time!! :D Besides, the sidelines are kinda nice because you can just taunt the actual players and throw things at them. :p

Nate, If your going to do a small tank just use the tank itself for the sump....
Well, it depends on the layout of the tank. Might not want to have a space in the back for equipment.
toss a tunze DOC 9002 skimmer in it.......I doubt you'll find a skimmer to match its performance in the same wattage/size class.......

FYI the tunze skimmer is rated for up to 52g........the finnex is about 26G full....due to the sump being part of the tank......

link...http://www.finnex.net/itemdetail.php?id=59
Yeah, I've been looking at that skimmer sounds cool if it works. It's tiny! If it really is decent for a 40 or so gallon system, then that'd be great. Anyone have an idea whether that 52 gallon estimate is too generous (usually the companies inflate that number by about a factor of 2 IME, but I don't know if that's the case for finnex).

I personally cut all skimmers ratings in half.......thus my use of the tunze in this application.

Here's some pics........although not recent with the tunze skimmer, my tanks just cooking still at 2 months.....got a couple snails and hermits and rock in it thats all....waiting for the pod population to become immense, as I have some fish that only eat pods.....

As far as the skimmer that comes with the finnex tank........leave it in the box......get the tunze.

As far as equipment, other than the skimmer sucking it comes with a pump that works, has a built in fuge, comes with a fuge light.........

here's some better pics of the tank and some issues that I didn't like which i fixxed.......
http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55239&highlight=finnex

Uh oh, here we go. ;) It won't be long now. Nate's wheels are turning once again. I still have a couple of nice pieces I got from your tank break down. :D

Last edited:
Oh yeah Don? :) What pieces did you buy from me?

You don't have that watermelon tenuis, do you?

Looks like you've got some nice stuff, all growing well, by the size of your frag list! I'll have to stop by after I get something running.

Back