epoxy putty sell at LFS cost too much

Kungfukid

Non-member
does anyone know why the brand name epoxy stick putty at the LFS cost so much?

I've been using both the Rectorseal epoxy Putty and the J-B WaterWeld Epoxy to mount corals onto frag plugs and also to mount the frags onto the rocks all these times without any problem. and these are reef safe and lots of hobbysts using them without any issue. they are Nontoxic and approved by the National Sanitation Foundation for use with potable water

I just do not understand why the brand name epoxy putty at the LFS cost so much when people like us could buy the generic epoxy for a lot less (60%-70% less) to save money.

just wanted to pass this on.

For reference
http://www.lowes.com/pd_355112-8128....+waterweld+epoxy&pl=1&currentURL=&facetInfo=

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...keyword=rectorseal&storeId=10051#.UD-ZgaDAQzc

Last edited:
Why? Because they can and most new hobbyist think this is some new magic putty that doesn't exist anywhere else...
The only plus is the purple one they sell that blends in with your coraline algae

isn't everything will become the so called "I love pink" within a few months in the reef tank (with supplements dosing)?

I don't know conveyance fee maybe... I've been using the jb waterweld stuff for a little over a year now without issue. Also my corals do grow over it so I don't really think it resists growth...

i dont think it resists growth either. I have been using jb waterweld and it is covered by either coral or coralline.

Here you can see the algae growing on the rocks but stays off the putty... very noticeable

eagle eyes.JPG

give it some time

if it was an established system with tons of life on the rock it would prolly get covered more quickly, but that's a fairly young tank

Agree with Jim and was about to post the same thing. You dont have a ton of life there as it is. Give it some time and it colors up nice.

Good to know... I was worried because the algae seems to put the breaks on right at the start of the putty, all over the rocks then bang not on the putty at all. And the bright white look kills it. I covered it with a layer of the purple version recently it bothered me so bad...

try pressing some rock rubble into it next time to cover it up. it's not very sticky underwater so that may or may not work, but worth a shot

but to get back to the op's question, it's overpriced at the lfs cuz everything made for the aquarium market is overpriced

Back