Eshopps Overflow questions

stingythingy45

BRS Member
Unfortunately my tank is not drilled.So I bought a Eshopps overflow(800GPH) online that arrived yesterday.I noticed it came with a standard 1" bulkhead with only external threads and slip fit internal.
I have some extra 1" bulkheads with internal/external.
What's the best way to hook up to the bulkhead?
Should I avoid a hosebarb and flex tubing to the sump?
Same question on the return?
I plan on coming through the floor with ridged PVC for return/drain and then hooking to this.
I have a 75 gallon stock tank ready for a basement sump.
Just want to try and get this right the first time.:rolleyes:

Bob, any chance you would consider lowering your water level and drilling?

I would.

To answer your question, I would avoid a hose barb if possible. I also went with spaflex for ease of running my return and drains, and also for noise, because it is a little quieter.

I don't think I want to do that with this tank Jay.
Sounds kind of dangerous.lol
I'm hoping that after this is done and working I'll be in the market for a RR tank.Where did you get spa-flex at and what's the cost comparison to ridged PVC?

The external threads are there for the nut that secures the bulkhead in place not for securing plumbing to the bulkhead. The bulkhead that came with it would be considered a slip bulkhead. You can use either a slip or threaded (threads on inside) depending on what works best for your plumbing.

1 inch spa-flex is usually available at Lowes and some True-Value's. I know most of the Home Depot's I've been in do not have it.

Ok I see what you're taking about dedfish.
I've seen a few pictures with them plumbed up.Just wondering what's the best way,especially if/when it needs to be removed for maintenance.I'm looking into spa-flex right now.I took the bulkhead to work with me.
I just don't want to run back and forth 1000 times for stuff at the store.
But I know that's just wishful thinking.:p

Attachments

• 03-13-08_1155.jpg
    03-13-08_1155.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 126
The best/easiest way is to use plenty of unions, ball valves, or true unions to make sure that disconnecting and servicing it is easy as possible for you. I don't have a lot of experience with external overflows, but I'd imagine if it were me I'd attach a true union right below the bulkhead before anymore plumbing. This way I could stop the overflow and remove the plumbing for servicing. Remember that saving a few dollars in the beginning by cutting corners with plumbing will almost always cause headaches down the line while trying to do service. Just think about the flow and about where you'd like to be able to stop it and disconnect parts of the plumbing to make it easy. Ordering true unions from places like Savko.com can safe you space rather than using a union and a ball valve.

But if you use a true union you can shut the valve and then turn off the pump and keep the siphon in the overflow, disconnect it and then connect it back up all without re priming the overflow.

Actually siphon on the overflow will remain even with no flow(theoretically).
It traps water at both ends of the U tube maintaining the siphon.
I checked out Mel's reef site and found some info there.Definitely a union just below the overflow.I hear you on the cutting corners and having a plan.It's one of the reasons I posted here before going any further.It's best to get info from folks that have done this before,can't beat experience.

Back