Euro reef skimmer purchased at the auction....

The River Reef

Non-member
I purchased the Euro Reef skimmer at the auction for $75. I didn't keep track of who donated it, and was aware it was repaired. I am new to this hobby and never owned a skimmer. I tried a test run but couldn't get much of any bubbles or the water to rise in the column. It looks to me like the pump is no good. Can anyone help me out here? I would hate to get rid of what I thought was going to be my first skimmer adventure :( I just need to know if I can easily tell if the pump is no good or not. Also it looks to be missing some of the return section pipes, do not know if this matters? Any help or contact with the individual who donated - to ask a few questions would be a lifesaver, thanks :)

I'll forward this to Tab as I think she has the master list... But off the top of my head I'd try disassembling the pump and soaking it in vinegar. Then I'd put it back together and run it in the vinegar.

Sorry Dave, I have no information on the skimmer as it was donated the day of.

Is the pump running at all? Do you see bubbles inside the skimmer? Are the bubbles just not rising up to the collection cup? A picture may help out a bit here too, I think there were a few skimmers?

Are you testing in fresh water or saltwater? Freshwater will not produce a foam head properly.

The skimmer had all that it needed for the exit pipe I believe. I run a euroreef and was the one who identified what that skimmer was.

Those skimmers come with just a single verticle pipe that the water exits from. This pipe is used to control the water level in the skimmer. It should actually be a pipe inside of a pipe so you can slide it up or down to adjust the height. Can you move this pipe at all?

As already asked, does the pump move any water and is there any bubbles being produced? If it is pumping water but no bubbles, first make sure it is in saltwater. Second you can check the venturi where the air hose connects to the pump. remove the piece that attaches the airhose to the pump and then remove the air hose. Make sure the hole where the air hose attaches is not cloged. I need to clean mine out about once a month.

Laslty I am in Marlboro if you can't get it figured out and want to bring it by. I can see if we can get it working.

I don't know much about this skimmer but by reading the post, if the pump runs, the pump should be fine. Which part of the skimmer was repaired? If you post a pic of it, there may be more help along the way to identify what should be done on it.
Don't be discouraged, everyone has some trouble when first use a skimmer.

I don't know much about this skimmer but by reading the post, if the pump runs, the pump should be fine. Which part of the skimmer was repaired? If you post a pic of it, there may be more help along the way to identify what should be done on it.
Don't be discouraged, everyone has some trouble when first use a skimmer.

It was just the neck of the skimmer so really should have no impact here.

Does it even have a hose attached to the pump to draw air from? If it was used maybe the hose was missing and its not able to pull air. A picture, and some info on if the pump is moving water would help alot.

Did the freshwater vs saltwater question get answered yet? If it's in freshwater no skimmer will work at all.

Wow - thanks for all the quick feedback! Sorry I haven't gotten back, busy day at work... No I didn't use saltwater in my test, I used freshwater. The pump was pumping water and a minute amount of bubbles. I also ran it without the tube adjusted as I thought it was an extension to move water into anther compartment. Tonight I will try again in some saltwater and adjust the height on the tube. Again, I am really impressed with the help, thank you so much! Can I ask another question that may sound silly... how do you post a pic on your response? When I put the URL of a pic I had in one of my albums on your site it came up missing... This way I can post a pic tomorrow of this skimmer.

Success!

IMG_0005.JPG

Thank you everyone for all the help.... freshwater was the issue - lol

Back