EuroReef and ASM skimmer fans, explain "gate valve mod"

FishyIdea

Non-member
As I try to decide between EuroReef and ASM for skimmer, I read a lot about the "gate valve mod." A lot of people seem to treat it as mandatory for the ASM and I see it mentioned for the EuroReef as well.

However, I have not found anything that explains what the problem is, how this mod fixes the problem, and who should consider making the mod.

Anybody understand it?

Thanks,

Joe

the mod is to make it quieter.
both designs use a riser tube that the water overflows from. the gate valve mod directs the water flow back down under the water surface to quiet the sound of the exiting water.

I bought my ASM G1x from asmskimmer.com. That was the cheapest I could find, and they shipped it really fast. They have a discusion board on their site that you can ask questions on, and they seem to reply very fast. Here is a link that explains the mods that they can do. You can order the skimmer, and the parts for the mod and do it yourself, or you can pay them to do it for you. There are pictures on the site of skimmers that have been modified also.

http://www.asmskimmer.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=60

HTH :)

The gate valve on the output tube is used to control the level of water in the skimmer, instead of the adjustable riser tube that's normally slid up and down to control the water height.

By closing the valve slightly it creates back pressure that raises the height in the skimmer.

I did this mod on my Euro-knockoff skimmer, and it did cut down on noise, but I found that the level of water in the skimmer was touchy, and would change depending on the pump output, so if the pump intake got a little smutz in it, the water level would drop. When I started the pump the initial surge would almost always flood the collection cup. Other than that it worked fine, but when I moved my sump to the basement where noise didn't matter, I converted it back to a riser-tube style. That way the level is always constant, regardless of minor fluctuations of pump output.

Nate

You can see a picture of my skimmer with the gate valve mod in the DIY project gallery thread, or for a discussion of it, search for my Euro-style skimmer thread.

Back