EuroReef skimmer is killing me

I have the same skimmer and I get little or no overflow out of the riser. Every time it start to overflow out of the riser I open and close the air valve to clean it out. I am running it with the air valve wide open try pulling your air valve off and running it like that. Check the nipple the air valve connects to for obstruction. Also to keep the skimming consistent I had to add an auto top off system to the sump.

Thanks ALOT Nate your are the f'n man:cool: I took out the air valve and tube.The tube was fine but I found a small piece of thin plastic in the valve it must have turned sideways in time to restrict the air flow.Not sure were it came from.Thanks a MILLION I thought this was going back :( .

Here is pic of my RS-80. Note the sump line. Hope it helps.

54-sump.jpg

-Joe

Last edited:
I had the same issue with a RS135. My question is in the main tower are the bubbles all the way to the bottom and therefore returning up the riser to the sump? If so, that is your problem. There should be clear water (no bubbles) in the tower from the bottom to the top of the u shaped pvc piece that heads out to the riser tube. The reason the bubbles are reaching the bottom of the tube is because the air flow is resticted. To get the air flow correct do a couple of things. First, if you have the valve at the end of the air line tube, that valve gets clogged with salt build-up. You can either take it off completely or take it off and clean/blow out the salt build-up and replace. Second, take a cup of warm to hot ro/di water and stick the airline tube (take the valve off to do this) into the cup, which will draw the warm water through the tube and into the air intake of the needle wheel pump. If I understood your issue correctly, that should clean out any air blockage. Finally, it is recommended that every 6 months you clean out the pump with a vinigar (sp) mixture. That will clear out any salt or calcuim build up in the needle wheel. Good luck

FWIW, I spoke with Euro-reef out West last night (again), this is what was said: "remove the air tube from the venturi, use a 11/64 drill bit to blow out the baffle. Two days ago they told me to remove the air valve at the top of the air tube as well. this all pertains to the "new" promo version of the RS-80. I'm not sure, but it sounds to me that this promo might have a slight design flaw, otherwise, I can't see the above mentioned advice.

BTW, after doing this, mine works great (though I did put the air valve back on.

Back