Exhaust Fan Placement

My fish room is either going to be 6' x 6' on the other side of the boiler room's wall or a 6' x 3' closet in the boiler room. I'm going to have major humidity issues in both the basement and more so, in the living room without some sort of venting. My tank is going to be up against a wall with no place convenient and out of the way to install a fan or run ducting. Any ideas?

If it's ok to install an exhaust fan low, will it be effective to have one behind my tank and run the ducting behind that wall, down a few feet into the basement and out 15' to a basement window? Or would the fan need to be lined up with at least the top of the tank (5' tall)? Man that's going to be a big, ugly hole in the wall. Is it simpler to run a dehumidifier in my living room year round instead?

Thanks,
Paul

If you need a hand to duct a fan out just let me know. The distance you are talking is fine. As far as the finish penetrations there are some pretty nice wall grills to complement any decor.

Thanks Scott!

I didn't realize till later this morning that the ceiling of my living room and ducting through the attic is another option. I guess that hour and a half of sleep two nights ago didn't pay off. :rolleyes: But that would probably involve drilling into the brick exterior of the second floor. I probably shouldn't vent through the roof since it's slate, too many headaches.

Sounds like it's going to be a PITA. You sure about this Scott? :p

if you can get into the attic can you tap into the bathroom vent should already be vented outside just a thought

I had my sump in my garage for years and only had a desktop fan in my canopy upstairs and never had humidity issues upstairs......now the sump room in the garage was a nightmare with humidity issues

My basement can get a little humid during the dog days of summer. But my living room can get really uncomfortable on those days. So I'm going to play it safe.

Back