Exquisite Fairy Wrasse Fiji vs Africa

Mine looks kjinda like a cross betwen the two but more like the african with the red head.

Attachments

• 100_2396.JPG
    100_2396.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,367
We had one from Figi a while back...just FYI, this is one of the wrasse species that can lose color when there is an absence of a female counterpart of juvi. That happened to ours, there was a significant change in his colors after a few months, they faded quite a lot. I would not get this fish again without adding a female along with it. One of my favorite wrasse species however, holding out for a colorful pair of them though.;):)

FWIW, I've seen both of them, just a matter of taste really. Those are both good depictions of what they each look like IMO.

Mike, I would say yours is an African one, very pretty.

Last edited:
We had one from Figi a while back...just FYI, this is one of the wrasse species that can lose color when there is an absence of a female counterpart of juvi. That happened to ours, there was a significant change in his colors after a few months, they faded quite a lot. I would not get this fish again without adding a female along with it. One of my favorite wrasse species however, holding out for a colorful pair of them though.;):)

FWIW, I've seen both of them, just a matter of taste really. Those are both good depictions of what they each look like IMO.

Mike, I would say yours is an African one, very pretty.

Mine is a male and actually flashes at some of my other fish including my anthias. I have been trying to get a pic of him when flashing as his colors are so vibrant. I have had probably 16 or so fairy wrasses including several male female pairs and this is the only one I have ever had that truely flashes and he has no pair. You never know what you are going to get.

As far as my experiences, my worst fish to lose color like you mention has been an australian scotts wrasse.

I have had probably 16 or so fairy wrasses including several male female pairs and this is the only one I have ever had that truely flashes and he has no pair. You never know what you are going to get.

Very true, every specimen is different.

As far as my experiences, my worst fish to lose color like you mention has been an australian scotts wrasse.[/quote]

The same happened with our Scott's. Those are the only two we noticed a major loss of color, the Scott's and the Exquisite, and we have and have had several wrasse, they are our favorite fish species. ;):)

Back