February Disaster Prevention and Reefkeeping Chemistry for Dummies/VP of PR Election

Flame Angel

Past BRS Pres/2016MOD
Staff member
:)Boston Reefers Meetings are open to all Paid, non-paid and prospective members(family friendly environment):)Please control your conduct and consumption of beverages

The next meeting of the Boston Reefers' Society will be: on Saturday February 28th, 2015 noon to 4:00pm, NO PATRIOTS FOOTBALL THIS DAY-THE SUPERBOWL IS OVER AND THEY WERE VICTORIOUS!!!

The location is: North Andover VFW post 2124, 32 Park St, North Andover MA 01845

Disaster Prevention and Reef keeping Chemistry for Dummies
Election of VP of PR

Meeting schedule:

**All topics and times subject to change at any time**

12:00-Socializing/Membership Registration/Greeting
12:15-Greg Hiller - Disaster Prevention and Reefkeeping Chemistry for Dummies
1:15-Break for lunch
1:30 Election for VP of PR (we must have a quorum present)
3:30-Raffle
3:45-Frag Trading/Socializing

Water testing link

Fish Goo Link

Frag Swap Thread

Meeting Sponsors - We are making arrangements to have one of our clubs sponsors present (LFS are important to this hobby-please remember to frequent our sponsors)

There will be many great raffle prizes offered up to support the club by our sponsors and members. Items will be posted as we get closer to the meeting date.

**THERE WILL BE A KIDS ACTIVITY TABLE**

The BRS is proud to announce that our own Greg Hiller will be the speaker for the next monthly meeting on Sunday September 16th at the North Andover VFW club. The topic will be "Disaster Prevention and Reef keeping Chemistry for Dummies (I'm not judging!)" For those of you that haven't had the privilege of attending one of Greg's presentations it is always a great time.

Greg_Hiller.jpg

Here is a little background on Greg, he has been active in the reef keeping hobby since 1996, starting out in the early days using CompuServe's Fishnet forum as a troubleshooting resource. The lessons learned online from experienced aquarists resulted in such rapid coral growth in his tanks that he needed to learn and develop techniques of coral propagation/fragmentation. Greg has raised several species of marine fish and propagated dozens of species of soft and hard corals, and anemones/corallimorphs. As most of you know Greg is a founding member of our club and was a member of the board of directors for several years.

Greg holds a Ph.D. in chemical/biochemical engineering from U.C. Berkeley which he believes has contributed to his success in the reef keeping hobby. Understanding the basics of chemistry, combined with biology and engineering have helped with numerous fishy-type projects from raising seahorses to building calcium reactors. Greg has authored a number of articles for online hobbyist publications, most dealing with chemistry aspects of the hobby.

In keeping with the topic of discussion. The BRS will be raffling off one of these little beauties. Just another reason to show up.
2HP Generator.jpg

Last edited:
Just three more Saturdays away... Look at that sweet little puppy portable generator. One lucky reefer is going to win that!

Looking forward to the meeting. Bring your disaster and reef chemistry questions.

NO PATRIOTS FOOTBALL THIS DAY-THE SUPERBOWL IS OVER AND THEY WERE VICTORIOUS!!!

Uh oh...

On another note, can you guys hold these meetings at a time when I am available! New to the hobby and have been very excited about the last 2 meetings only to realize I have firm obligations at these times!!

I am so excited to be able to make it to another meeting!! Can't wait will there be tables setup selling frags like the first one I went to??

If any memembers would like to set up frag tanks or junkyard tables, please pm myself or any BOD member.

Tables are $20 or equivalent donation to raffle.

Thank you, look forward to seeing everyone!

We need some help with the fish goo items. Still have plenty of open spots to fill with 2 days to go.
If we can't get more of the list filled we might have to pull the fish goo for this meeting.
Please help out and donate.
Thanks Josh

::
Being raffled off:
::
Do not forget this little puppy here... I bet a few of us could have used this a couple of weeks back.

2HP Generator.jpg

Hello Everyone, hope you have all dug out and starting to enjoy the cool, crisp and sunny day.

Great to see everyone as usual. See you all next month at the auction.

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums...8-2015-BRS-Annual-Auction-Saturday-March-28th

Thank you for everyone that attended the meeting today. Greg Hiller was very informative as usual. Thanks Greg!

IMG_0286.JPG
IMG_0302.JPG
IMG_0304.JPG

Fish Goo as usual... Just can't get enough! Having second thoughts yet?

IMG_0307.JPG
IMG_0309.JPG

And the winner of the sweet little generator is...Privateer

IMG_0311.JPG

I have been meaning to post something like this for a bit and I tried to make a point of this while I was at the meeting, but THANK YOU to Greg and all of the people responsible for putting the meeting together and keeping the whole organization up and running. I think sometimes we loose sight of the fact that this whole thing is due to people volunteering there valuable time and effort, but we appreciate your efforts. Even if it doesn't get said as often as it should, I am sure there are many many people who feel the same way.

Thanks Greg. I enjoyed the talk and also thank you for your hospitality inviting everyone over to see your tank.

All welcome. About 7 people stopped by to see the system and continue to talk reefs for a good long time.

Back