Feeding a carpet anemone

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
I have been trying to feed my big green carpet anemone with silverside fish without success. The carpet is not interested in the small fish. Instead, it ate my yellow tang.

So, today I tried to feed it a big whole tiger shrimp with head bought from Chinatown. It ate the whole shrimp in a minute. The whole shrimp is about 5 inch long.

If you have free yellow tang to give away, please let me know.

The yellow tang was about 3.5 inch long. I mean I have to feed the carpet large meal to make it eat. But the carpet will still eat other fish. I end up with the carpet because it ate so many fish in its previous tank.

I assume this is the one you got from me?

I really didn't have problems getting it to eat. Does it have a clown hosting in it?

Yes, that is the carpet. No, it has no clown fish host in it. But now I know the guy has big appetite.:D

dz6t said:
Yes, that is the carpet. No, it has no clown fish host in it. But now I know the guy has big appetite.:D

It never ate any of mine, but it was a fear.

Are you thawing the silversides before feeding?

I used to drag the silverside across the anemone with a pair of tweezers, simulating swimming.

BBQ tongs also work.

I did get "zapped" by it once.

Not a fun thing to do. My hands felt like hamburger.

grendel said:
It never ate any of mine, but it was a fear.

Are you thawing the silversides before feeding?

I used to drag the silverside across the anemone with a pair of tweezers, simulating swimming.
OK, I was mistaken. But now you know your fear came true.;)
I don't need to do any thing if I feed it whole tiger shrimp. I am planning to feed it whole tiger shrimp from now on.

I got zap by it too. The back of my hand was red for a day.

I have a couple of large carpets in my tank. The most lethal seems to be the inconspicous olive green haddoni. I have to get rid of it before it cleans me out of all my fish. I am not certian it is the killer, but since it has tripled in size and I do not feed it, it is the most likely suspect. I have a gigantea that is about 2 feet and I feed it shrimp about once every 3 weeks or so.

Grendel did you get that carpet from me? if so it does have a potent sting and likes to eat nice fish, he ate one of my helfrichis firefish, its very quick at striking.

TheBigBadReefer said:
Grendel did you get that carpet from me? if so it does have a potent sting and likes to eat nice fish, he ate one of my helfrichis firefish, its very quick at striking.

Nope. At least, not that I know of!

This sucker does move fast though.

I was moving a rock in the tank and it zapped my forearm.

I have heard that if you put rocks around it so it is more cup shaped it will be less likely to eat fish.

~Flighty~ said:
I have heard that if you put rocks around it so it is more cup shaped it will be less likely to eat fish.

I found it was at least happier this way and roamed less. I boxed it's foot in with live rock and it dug in way deeper. I also found it more pleasing to the eye as a cone, where I could not see it's giant mouth/anus.

I also figured if it roamed less, the fish would be used to it and not go near it. If it were roaming, they may path into it not knowing it was there.

I think they flatten out to catch fish better. If they are already cupped they can't close in as effectively (or something like that, I've never had a carpet myself)

I could not find my male clown fish tonight when a friend drop by. We search high and low for the fish but could not find it. I think the carpet mut ate it. The female is wondering along the tank seems lost.

Back