Feeding an SPS tank?

nichols

Non-member
Let's hear what/if, how often and how you feed your corals. I haven't been feeding my corals except what they could get from fish goo, but i think this might change.:)

I put B-Ionic daily, and ocasionally Phytoplankton and home made fish goo in my SPS tank. I'm still in the 'newbie' stage when it comes to corals, so still in learning mode.

The only coral I feed is my plate. I give it either some goo or shrimp about once a month. Feeding corals leads to more nutrients and poor water quality wich sps don't care for.

Bill, I just feed fish goo. I turn off the pumps during feeding and whatever falls to the corals is what they get. But I have a huge variety of stuff in my goo including golden pearls, tobiko, garlic and cyclop-eeze (in addition to all the meaty stuff).

so "fish goo" is basically food you put together for your corals, like diffent kinds of food? (very new to this stuff)

I dont have sps, but I add phyto to my tank daily.
Some people dont like it because it polutes, but my coral and fish love it and the skimmer just sucs alot out.

so "fish goo" is basically food you put together for your corals, like diffent kinds of food? (very new to this stuff)

Fish goo is when all of these crazy people get together and stick alot of stuff in a food pasturizer, thus making a delicious food for your fish and coral :)

I dont have a lot of sps, just a few colony but I feed the tank with Cyclopeeze every other day or so. My sun polyps and my goni seem to do very well with it.

Would it be possible to fit a fish goo party in after or before the auction????

I could get frozen octopus, frozen conch meat (If people split up the price), and alot of other seafood.
(My dad owns a fish company :) )

I started a new thread for a fish goo party as not to deter from Nichols41's thread (see "PHISH goo party?!")

>I don't think I'll ever get out of the learning mode.<

Ditto. I've tried feeding rotifers and newly hatched brine shrimp before, none of my Acros or Montis ever took it that I could see....and I watched carefully. I have seen Acros eat cyclopeeze, but I don't think it's all that common for the average polyp to catch one. If you are trying to specifically feed Acropora, I suggest that you feed when the lights are out as the polyps are further extended at that time.

Other that calcium and alkalinty (and magnesium), and what that corals get from dissolved materials from the fish poop, I don't add much else. I'm still considering adding an amino acid supplement, as I think there might be some value there (might make stuff grow faster). I'm just not sure which amino acids are the best to use. Aspartate is the one that is most commonly mentioned by folks.

Back