Feeding at night?

Fish probably won't eat at well at night. Some fish aren't at all active, and others can't see well enough to capture food.

If you feed at night I think you'll mostly be feeding shrimp and crabs (not that they don't deserve a meal, necessarily :)).

Some corals, particularly LPS extend their feeding tentacles at night. So feeding them might be a good idea.

I usually try to feed about 1/2 hour before the lights go out, and I feed every other day. The fish all come out and eat, and then I notice alot of the night time creatures come out, shrimp, crabs, and my serpant star. I try to feed close to nighttime, because I feel that way all the food that falls won't sit around too long, because all the other little guys will come out and eat it all. In the morning, I can't find a bit of food anywhere. Hth :)

my bow tank only has corals in it currently, several of which are lps. The caluastrea, lobo, and most other lps extend their tentacles at night, so the appreciate the feeding.

My cardinal is a pretty solitary guy too, but I find if the lighting is low or off he feeds like a glutton

I feed my tank cyclopeeze sometime around 11:30pm.(lights out at 8pm) At this time, all of my SPS's polyps are fully extended. Otherwise, i do my normal feeding at 5pm.

The only thing I dont like about feeding cyclopeeze is that my platygyra shoot out extra long tenticles(6-7")

I'd be concerned about filling their bellies full of food and letting them sleep. I know it's not healthy for humans.

Steve

stevenp said:
I'd be concerned about filling their bellies full of food and letting them sleep. I know it's not healthy for humans.
Steve

Now you tell me, after I finish off my bowl of ice cream

Piscevore said:
My cardinal is a pretty solitary guy too, but I find if the lighting is low or off he feeds like a glutton
Cardinals are nocturnal feeders.
When I went reef walking at negative low tides at night in HI, the cardinals would be stalking in the tidal pools.

Scuba_Dave,

Your sig says "180g to be sold". Does this mean it's for sale? I'm in the market for a tank of this size. PM me if so.

Steve

My sig doesn't say that... ;)

Attachments

• coolcrab.gif
    coolcrab.gif
    10.5 KB · Views: 139
I usually feed my corals at night since most of my LPS & SPS extend their tentacles when the light goes off. I feed my fish during the day.

I also feed my tank cyclopeeze when the lights out (10ish) I dont do this all the time, but every 3-4 days. Otherwise, I do my normal feeding a small bit in the am (before work) and a small bit in the pm say around 6pm (flake/frozen for the fish).

Thanks for all of the tips, gang. The reason I asked is because I have a hitchhiker cup coral on one of my rocks that almost completely retracts throughout the day and, of course, fully extends at night. Since I feed this guy a few times a week at night, I started to wonder if everyone else might be hungry... and, as everyone suggests, the crabs/snails/shrimp go nuts.

Back