few random questions

MPevine11

my own mini ocean
1) so yester day i re-scaped again (i cant figure out how i like it), i had it going well then had a huge piese i couldnt fit anywere...... so out came the hammer and flathead screw driver (electrical tools have more then one pourpose) broke up the rock in 3 pieces.i was happy how it came out, so i gather my pieces and bring them inside. in the process i found a 'worm' if it was a worm i dont know it looked like a slug with no shell. i didnt know it it was good or bad, so i kept that 1/3 of the pice it was in out ofr the tank, the other pirces seemed to be fine. any ideas on what it could of been? good or bad? ill try to fine a pic online

2) i would like a powerhead for the back of my tank facing forward towards the front glass. i dont want something cheap and wish i could get another MP10 but cant because of the 'false wall', i was thinking tunze but dont want to much flow.... any ideas here?

3) i'd like to get a 'controller' for my lights and fan on my hqi light but dont know much about controllers and dont know what i would need. any sugestions on this or how a controller works?

4) Cheato in the fuge, the fuge in the new biocube hqi has the place to put the cheato and above it the filter pad goes......should i use the filter pad or will this keep the pods from comming in and out of the fuge to display tank?

thank you for any help
-mike pevine-

1) It maybe a stomatella just do a google search and see if that is what it is

2)Tunze 6025 (660 g/h), I am still not keen yet on the Koralia's yet with what I have heard with the voltage leaks from the K models. If the 6025 is to much flow and you are looking for Tunze/Vortech quality, I would get the Vortech, seeing that the Tunze 6055 w/ control woudl be more than the MP10.

3) You could do an ReefKeeper Lite ($99), it is just the head unit and PC4. So you could program the lights and fan to come on at the same time, but you have the capability to add 3 more modules to the system so you can monitor pH & temp (to control heaters). If you know you are looking at doing pH and temp you may want to step up to a Lite Plus to save some money in the long term.

4) Sorry I do not have a BioCube so I am not sure on where in the system the filter pad is at and what function it is performing.

Last edited:

2)Tunze 6025 (660 g/h), I am still not keen yet on the Koralia's yet with what I have heard with the voltage leaks from the K models. If the 6025 is to much flow and you are looking for Tunze/Vortech quality, I would get the Vortech, seeing that the Tunze 6055 w/ control woudl be more than the MP10.

3) You could do an ReefKeeper Lite ($99), it is just the head unit and PC4. So you could program the lights and fan to come on at the same time, but you have the capability to add 3 more modules to the system so you can monitor pH & temp (to control heaters). If you know you are looking at doing pH and temp you may want to step up to a Lite Plus to save some money in the long term.

4) Sorry I do not have a BioCube so I am not sure on where in the system the filter pad is at and what function it is performing.

could you please post a link to what i would need with the lite plus? im not sure what im looking for....... what else would i need to set this up? what do you mean by PH?( i know what ph is, but what does this unit do with it?) would i need to plug something in?
also this will elimate all my timmers? i just would like to get rid of the cluster of large timmers and stuff, but if i can get some fancy digital equiptment while doing so i mise well if i can afford it :)

as for the poswehead, i got a koralia nano for now. im going to upgrade later. i got this because i plan to put it into a fluval edge when i start that project, then when i do that i will upgrade to something better.

i looked at that site posted and googled stomatella , but i cannot find it. it didnt lok like any of things to stay clear of thankfully.

Here is the overview of the Lite system, just remember the Lite can only go 4 modules (the head unit does not count).
Digital Aquatics RKL
On the specs on that site will show what each of the different Lite versions come with. If you want to do pH monitoring you will need to have either an SL1 or SL2. The difference between those 2 modules if the SL1 does orp also and the SL2 does salinity (they are experiencing issues with the probe at this moment) also. As for temp with the Lite you just need the probe (iTemp) and it plugs into an open bus port on the system normally on the last module but you can add a hub if needed (IIRC does not count as a module). Any questions let me know. If you were closer I'd say come check mine out.

Also you could look at the Apex system I believe they have a Lite version also but I do not have any experience with it. I do know that some other members here have the Apex but not sure which version. Apex Lite

Last edited:
Here is the overview of the Lite system, just remember the Lite can only go 4 modules (the head unit does not count).
Digital Aquatics RKL
On the specs on that site will show what each of the different Lite versions come with. If you want to do pH monitoring you will need to have either an SL1 or SL2. The difference between those 2 modules if the SL1 does orp also and the SL2 does salinity (they are experiencing issues with the probe at this moment) also. As for temp with the Lite you just need the probe (iTemp) and it plugs into an open bus port on the system normally on the last module but you can add a hub if needed (IIRC does not count as a module). Any questions let me know. If you were closer I'd say come check mine out.

Also you could look at the Apex system I believe they have a Lite version also but I do not have any experience with it. I do know that some other members here have the Apex but not sure which version. Apex Lite

would it be possibe to post a couple pics of yours?

i am very interested in something like this. so digitally it can display temp, PH, and salinity?

also where does everything plug in?
im looking to 'timmer controll' my: Hqi light, My fan for the light, fuge light, and LED light

also what is SL1 or SL2.?

would it be possibe to post a couple pics of yours?

i am very interested in something like this. so digitally it can display temp, PH, and salinity?

also where does everything plug in?
im looking to 'timmer controll' my: Hqi light, My fan for the light, fuge light, and LED light

also what is SL1 or SL2.?

it comes with a power strip with 4 outlets that you can control.

Here are links to some of the product pictures was not sure if I could just post them seeing they are not mine.
The light head unit - Main display and also where you program the system from. Can show temp, pH, Orp, channel/switch status (on/off)
RKL Head Unit
PC4 (4 channel power strip) each channel is programmed for a certain function such as light, pump, heater
PC4

SL1 - provides connections for the pH and Orp probes along with 2 switch ports (can be used for float switches to make an ATO system), also a temp connection if you use it on an Elite system.
SL1

SL2 - provides connections for the pH and Salinity probes, and samething about the temp connection as the SL1
SL2

Connections
The head unit has a cable already attached I would say about 6' long that plugs into your first module, then you go form that to the next one and so on. The cables look like a phone cord but it is not, it is a non reversing cord, if you want to try and make your own I can post the pinout of the cable, I made all of mine due to having the head unit and 1 PC4 in my stand and everything else runs into the basement.

Currently I have a Lite Level 3 (now is called Lite Plus) so it is came with the head unit, 2 PC4, SL1 with pH and temp probes. I added another PC4 so I am at my 4 module max and I am going to upgrade to the Elite (they offer the head unit upgrade for $199 but a $50, rebate when you trade the lite head unit in.

They have some new modules that will be coming out soon, and their software is still in beta phase right now but is starting to look good.

Last edited:
Back