Finally trying to learn some reef photography!

Butchy21

Non-member
I was looking at the nice macro lens for my Canon rebel t5i- but i just can't bring myself to spend over $700! Decided to grab tube extenders and threw those on my 50mm lens (only $130 and has the electronics built in). I've been practicing with my tripod and adjusting white balance to get some shots under actinic without having to do post-processing since I have not played around with that software yet.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Pair of clown fish.JPG
    Pair of clown fish.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 465
  • Yellow watchman goby.JPG
    Yellow watchman goby.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 459
  • Full tank long shot.JPG
    Full tank long shot.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 461
  • Full tank intermediate shot.JPG
    Full tank intermediate shot.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 442
  • Acan under actinic.JPG
    Acan under actinic.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 473
  • Elegance under actinic.JPG
    Elegance under actinic.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 471
  • Red Blasto.jpg
    Red Blasto.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 447
  • Hairy mushroom.JPG
    Hairy mushroom.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 479
  • Various mushrooms.JPG
    Various mushrooms.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 451
Man those are nice! Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! It does get a little tricky with a bowfront tank- creates all kinds of reflections...

They look great and.awesome.
What is the tube extender?
I have a Nikon dslr but have never been able to get a good pictres with the camera.
Maybe you might have the tricks or the secret that i have been waiting for perhaps?

They look great and.awesome.
What is the tube extender?
I have a Nikon dslr but have never been able to get a good pictres with the camera.
Maybe you might have the tricks or the secret that i have been waiting for perhaps?

So I bought a third party tube extender set which works well for my Canon ($125). It has the mechanical circuitry so that the auto-focus can work as normal. Basically, they allow you to use your current lens as a macro lens, enabling you to focus on an object much closer than it normally is capable of. This set specifically has three different extenders that can work singly or in combination- giving some options for finding the right setup depending on the distance your coral/object is from the tank glass. Canon makes extenders as well but they are about the same price for one length only- I am sure Nikon has first and third party options also.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000U8Y88M/ref=psdc_3120264011_t2_B0000DZ5OE

Try a few things when shooting corals-
1. Use a tripod
2. Turn off powerheads and all water movement in the tank
3. Turn off surrounding light in the room to remove any glare
4. Use a remote timer or the 2 second delayed timer on your camera to avoid any shake
5. Use macro lens or tube extender for close up shots
6. Set camera to aperture priority mode (Av)
7. Set to lowest ISO
8. Shoot at right angles to the subject

Hope you have some luck!

I was looking at the nice macro lens for my Canon rebel t5i- but i just can't bring myself to spend over $700! Decided to grab tube extenders and threw those on my 50mm lens (only $130 and has the electronics built in). I've been practicing with my tripod and adjusting white balance to get some shots under actinic without having to do post-processing since I have not played around with that software yet.

Enjoy!
What kind of camera do you use I’m a newbie trying to learn myself how to do photographic Underwater

How do you set the white balance prior to the shot?

Here is the video that I found helpful for setting up white balance- I use a custom white balance for any shots taken during actinic lighting. I took a a picture of a white cutting board i placed in the fish tank at night while the actinic lights were on for the setting. I have not played around with post-processing but I think that is the other route you can take.

Back