Finnex Digital Heater

Sherri

Non-member
Anyone ever have a problem with these resetting themselves? I just acquired a yellow finger gorg and have been trying to lower my tank temp. I had it down until the weather changed, we turned the ac off and then it got hot towards the end of the day. The tank was back up to 79 before I turned on the ac. That was several days ago and I kept checking the temp but it was not getting lower. I checked the heater initially and it was still set at 76. This morning I checked the heater and it was set at 80 degrees so I turned it back down. Somehow it reset itself ...

If you have a power outage or you unplug it it automatically goes back to the default setting that it was set at the manufacturer.

You should becareful with these heaters. There are too many incidents with these heaters locking up and boilling the tank. The build in controllers in these heaters are not too trust worthy. I have read many posts about people loosing all of their life stock due to the heater locking up and boiling the tank. I would definetely recommend an outside controller such a ReeferKeeper 2, or Ranco. These controller monitor the water temperature among other thing and can shut the power to the heater if the heater malfunctions. The ranco controller only costs $80 for a single stage and could save you thousands God forbids the heater locks up. Now the Reefer Keeper 2 is just awesome. You can control alot more with it. In my opnion controller shuch as these, is a must have since we put so much money and time into our tanks.

Higor

Getting the Ranco for $60 off their website and am going to do some wiring -- it's just weird what is happening. But the reset to factory does explain it -- we had power flickering on Saturday due to the thunderstorms. Maybe I will graduate to the Reefkeeper 2 when I grow up!

Finnex heater almost boiled my tank this summer

I went to feed the fish one day and the water was hot. I checked the temp and it was over 90 but the temp on the heater said 68. Luckily I just lost a few corals, well more then a few but it could have been alot worse! I chucked it into the trash.

Everyone who takes their life stock seriously should invest in a good controller. it can save people lots of headaches! :)

Last edited:
Back