Fireworm in Overflow (YIKES)

sfb911

Non-member
So, by chance I was looking at my corner over flow tonight to see if it needed to be cleaned. I happened to notice a rather large (and admittedly a bit scary) worm hanging in there. Pretty large, probably 3+ inches. Managed to get a good look at him and a based on what I see online it looks more like a fireworm, and not a bristleworm. Mind you, i've never seen another one like this in my tank any where, which is a good thing I suppose.

My issue at this point is how the heck to get him out of there. My overflow is a corner over flow and there is not much room to maneuver in there with the plumbing. I considered dropping a siphon tube in there and sucking him out with an external pump (which i suspect will make a rather large mess when he goes through the pump). Curious if anyone else has any ideas.....I *MIGHT* be able to get a very long set of tongs in there but if he goes to the far side of the overflow, it would be difficult to reach him......

Welcome to thoughts, I definitely want to get this guy outta there since i've read they can reproduce asexually.....

Thanks,
Steve

(Edited to clarify that I *THINK* Its a fireworm based on what I found online)....

Last edited:
Get him to be free floating in there, then pull the drain pipe and let him take a ride into your filter sock.

FWIW when I google "fireworm" about 95% of the images that come up are regular bristle worms. Can you get a pic of yours? Actual problem "fireworms" are pretty uncommon.

Last edited by a moderator:
hD3E03D6F.jpg

FWIW when I google "fireworm" about 95% of the images that come up are regular bristle worms. Can you get a pic of yours? Actual problem "fireworms" are pretty uncommon.

Thanks to John for consistently reminding folks of this.

Back