First Sump Progress (pics and questons)

SkinnyPete

Non-member
A while ago I posted an idea about plumbing a 20g sump into my closet. Well, since then, the idea grew to a 50g including a 12g fuge. I already have the sump made. It is in place and the plumbing FROM the main tank, through the wall into the sump, is finished ... well, basically finished. I have some questions (many of them nick-picky and annoying, I'm sure) if anyone has a chance to take a look and give me some advice.

I threw together a web page quickly with pics to illustrate my questions better. I've repeated these questions in greater detail on the page linked, so no need to double your reading efforts if you go to the link......

http://www.legacywebdesign.com/sump/sump.html

1. The opening of the drain pipe into my skimmer chamber right now uses a 90 degree angle and is located at the very bottom of the sump. Should I change to 2 45s, and raise nearer to the surface? It's at the bottom now because I'm filling the chamber with rock rubble.

2. I'm splitting my return line (ball valves not yet installed) but I'm confused how to plumb from the return pump to the tee...I'm assuming I can't hard plumb everything because it'll be impossible to clean the pump.

3. Could I position the pump sideways? And, not a huge deal just more curious than anything, should I use prefilter sponge or not on the return pump?

4. How much of the spraybar should have holes in it? As you can see, I've made a straight line. Should I be adding a bunch? Never done a spraybar before.

Thanks for reading - I realize none of these questions are really life or death. I'd just rather get as much perfect as possible before running this thing. It's my first attempt at a sump/fuge. Hoping for the best - with your help.

Thanks again.

- Skins

I'm not an expert,but will throw out some sugestions.
I would split your drain between your skimmer and your fuge. Instead of feeding your fuge with skimmed water. Mine seems to be working well this way. I split mine 3 ways skimmer/fuge/frag tank. I installed ball valves to regulate flow.
I would also keep your drain about 1" or so under the surface. I wouldn"t use any elbow under the surface. Because of the way your baffels are set up the water level in this chamber will remain constant.
I would plumb the return pump with a section of flexable hose and set the pump on a bag of sand to reduce vibration noise.
I don't see the need for the spraybar, but i would enlager the holes.
A mag will run fine on it's side.

I think that hard plummed Mag is going to make a lot of noise, but the system looks good.

Jim

I'll start with suggestions, and then answers questions :)

Not sure what skimmer you are going to use, but I would highly recommend feeding the skimmer directly from your overflow drain pipe. The extra water I would send directly to the refugium.

Second, I would switch your return chamber and refugium.

On to your questions.

1) I would suggest having a long spray bar here as well, with large holes in. Basically, you just want to get the water down there, with the least amount of gurgling. Spreading out the entry points should help here. Based on my above suggestion, this would go into the second chamber as the refugium.

2) Using flex tubing from your pump is a way to isolate the pump so any noise doesn't radiate up the line. Many times this is not a huge concern though. To allow the pump to be removed for cleaning, you need a ball valve and a union. You can get unions at either home depot or lowes.

3) Position of the pump is not important, do whatever makes it easiest for you. I would not recommend the sponge filter, unless you are fanatical about cleaning / replacing it often.

4) The spraybar looks good! Should work just find for that flow.

HTH :)

I had my drain and return all hard plumbed and it was so loud I changed them both to clear tubing and damn my tank is silent now........

Thanks for the advice so far. The reason for the placement of the refugium was so that I could better control flow. I want it mainly for pod growth and would rather be able to adjust the flow, so I didn't want it in the middle. I'm also splitting the return line into the fuge because this pump is a little overpowered for my overflow box (about 850gph with the height I need to pump). My overflow can handle 700gph. I already had this pump, so I just figured I'd use a ball valve to send some of the return water into the fuge, thus turning down flow to the main without putting added pressure on the pump.

Also, when you say use flex tubing for the return, do you mean just the clear flexible tubing you can get at pet stores? Thanks again for looking.

Clear flexible tubing can be had at hardware and pet stores, and yes that is what we are talking about.

I wouldn't worry too much about pod production.. they are all going through your blender (return pump) anyway.

Reef55 said:
I wouldn't worry too much about pod production.. they are all going through your blender (return pump) anyway.

I'd like to think that some of the smaller copepods will make the trip - but, that's a different subject. :)

what size is the plumbing coming off the mag? You're going to get a LOT less flow than you think you are if its less that about 1.5"

It's going to be 1" coming off the pump. I'm splitting the return line so it will not be getting the full force of the pump...and it's going up about 4', so I'm hoping to get 600-700gph into the main tank.

Thanks for the link - the numbers seem about right. Exactly what I expected.

I've taken a lot of your suggestions, and I thank you all. Quick follow-up concerning the flexible tubing from the return pump.

Should I skip the pvc completely on the return? Just go with the flexible tubing all the way back to the main? I'm assuming I can get it black instead of clear - or just wrap it in electrical tape or something. Just trying to be clear what is being suggested on the return line - since that's the last piece I need to finish.

Thanks again.

- Skins

Back