Fish bullying solutions

UMan101

Non-member
I added a blue hippo tang as the last fish to my tank just to ensure he wouldn't bully anyone. Unfortunately, I had a wrasse jump out while my screen was off for maintenance (lesson learned). I now have a new wrasse arriving on Tuesday. So now I fear he may get bullied as tangs aren't the most welcoming to newcomers.

I read that one effective way to prevent bullying is to hang up pictures of the new fish before adding it. This allows the bully to get used to seeing him around. Does this actually work? Anyone ever try this? Sounds kinda farfetched

The other method I read was to put a mirror near the new addition. This way if the bully gets near him, he'll flee upon seeing his reflection or fight his reflection. Anyone try this method? Would the mirror stress out any of the fish?

Of course last resorts are to rearrange the rock work or just swap the tang for a new one. Hoping to avoid these options though

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Tangs are usually always aggressive toward newcomers that are the same species or the same body shape. I don't think there's any issue with the tang and wrasse. It might go near it to check it out but I don't think it would be an issue.

I'd recommend trying an acclimation box. never had any aggression issues between fish ever since I started using that for acclimating fish.

Having a relatively open rock work (more room for fish to swim) with plenty of hiding spots helps a bit too in keeping the new comer calm.

- Archit

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Tangs are usually always aggressive toward newcomers that are the same species or the same body shape. I don't think there's any issue with the tang and wrasse. It might go near it to check it out but I don't think it would be an issue.
Ah I hope this situation happens for me too. I'm extra paranoid this time as I used to have a yellow tang but had to give him away for bullying my previous wrasse

I'd recommend trying an acclimation box. never had any aggression issues between fish ever since I started using that for acclimating fish.

Having a relatively open rock work (more room for fish to swim) with plenty of hiding spots helps a bit too in keeping the new comer calm.

- Archit

Any specific acclamation boxes you recommend? I figure if I order off amazon with prime it should arrive just in time for the new addition

You do realize that in a 50g, your blue tang (which will outgrow that tank very quickly if it hasn't already) is going to bully any number of fish regardless of introduction order, right? They are very aggressive when crammed into small spaces. The fact that your tank is a cube means that his available swimming space is even smaller.

You do realize that in a 50g, your blue tang (which will outgrow that tank very quickly if it hasn't already) is going to bully any number of fish regardless of introduction order, right? They are very aggressive when crammed into small spaces. The fact that your tank is a cube means that his available swimming space is even smaller.
Tang is small at the moment but I agree. It's not a long term keeper. I find them great for helping with algae so they'll be swapped out repeatedly when too big for another small one

Any specific acclamation boxes you recommend? I figure if I order off amazon with prime it should arrive just in time for the new addition

I think they're all fine. Personally I use and love the Seaside Aquatics one. I have their largest model and it has multiple doors and optional separators in case I need to use them. But honestly anything should be fine as long as it has enough holes for good water flow and big enough so fish doesn't feel extra restricted.

A couple of keys things that I did that I feel increased my success rate:

1) I fed the tank, through the acclimation box whenever a new fish was introduced -- i.e. I would put all/most of the food in the acclimation box, and let the water flow bring it out for other fish. This had with advantages: the new fish would have food all around it so usually got the fish eating pretty easy; and, all the existing fish are forced to come and greet the new fish, so there's no surprises later.

2) Once the new fish looked comfortable enough, I'd open the doors but leave the box in the tank for another 2-4 days. I noticed and the new fish liked to venture out during the day, but preferred to come back and sleep in the box for a day or two after attaining freedom. To minimize stress, I left the box in and that seemed to help ease the transition more.

Not sure if Prime will get you the box in time -- call some stores around; I'd hope SOMEONE would carry these in stock considering how effective they are. I haven't been to LTR in a while but planning to go there tonight; I'll see if Yorgos has any in stock incase you are interested.

what kind of fish do u have in the 50 cube?i would go slow your tank is still young 3 months .nothing comes out good from rushing to stock a tank .

I think they're all fine. Personally I use and love the Seaside Aquatics one. I have their largest model and it has multiple doors and optional separators in case I need to use them. But honestly anything should be fine as long as it has enough holes for good water flow and big enough so fish doesn't feel extra restricted.

A couple of keys things that I did that I feel increased my success rate:

1) I fed the tank, through the acclimation box whenever a new fish was introduced -- i.e. I would put all/most of the food in the acclimation box, and let the water flow bring it out for other fish. This had with advantages: the new fish would have food all around it so usually got the fish eating pretty easy; and, all the existing fish are forced to come and greet the new fish, so there's no surprises later.

2) Once the new fish looked comfortable enough, I'd open the doors but leave the box in the tank for another 2-4 days. I noticed and the new fish liked to venture out during the day, but preferred to come back and sleep in the box for a day or two after attaining freedom. To minimize stress, I left the box in and that seemed to help ease the transition more.

Not sure if Prime will get you the box in time -- call some stores around; I'd hope SOMEONE would carry these in stock considering how effective they are. I haven't been to LTR in a while but planning to go there tonight; I'll see if Yorgos has any in stock incase you are interested.

Very informative post. This sounds like a perfect way to do it. Thanks man! I'll be following your method. Also, Let me know if you see any boxes at either store. If not I might even try petco to see if they have any before ordering online. Appreciate the help :)

Very informative post. This sounds like a perfect way to do it. Thanks man! I'll be following your method. Also, Let me know if you see any boxes at either store. If not I might even try petco to see if they have any before ordering online. Appreciate the help :)

just got off the phone with Yorgos (Love The Reef - 617.383.9890). he has 1 left in stock @ $50.

call him when the store opens tonight (4:30pm) and he can put it on hold for you if it meets your needs.

glad to be of help :)

just got off the phone with Yorgos (Love The Reef - 617.383.9890). he has 1 left in stock @ $50.

call him when the store opens tonight (4:30pm) and he can put it on hold for you if it meets your needs.

glad to be of help :)

Thanks again Archit! I ended up calling him and picking it up the same day. I should be good to go :)

e82e8a38220516db5d7b41425fac596a.jpg

Mirror trick works well. I've used it many times. Feeding the fish a lot helps as well.

Back