Flatworms????

sumant19

BRS Member
Hello

I got lot of these bugs on the aquarium glass. They dont seem to bother any corals.. are they flatworms? Good/bad?

thanks
Sumant

Yes, those are the clear type flatworms. I would get a wrasse to take care of them or use Flatworm Exit since these don't tend to be any direct thread to corals as I know of. But having flatworm in the tank is never a comfortable feeling. Keep in mind that if you do have a lot of them and decided to nuke them by using Flatworm Exit, the amount of toxin release when they die may aversely affect your fish.

Yes, those are the clear type flatworms. I would get a wrasse to take care of them or use Flatworm Exit since these don't tend to be any direct thread to corals as I know of. But having flatworm in the tank is never a comfortable feeling. Keep in mind that if you do have a lot of them and decided to nuke them by using Flatworm Exit, the amount of toxin release when they die may aversely affect your fish.

This ^^^

nuking them with flatworm exit is the last thing i want to do... I donot have any sps in the tank and dont plan on keeping any... do i really need to worry about them? Any other fish eat those besides wrasses? Do manderins eat flatworms? :)

No don't worry about them. Natural. Their population will likely decline and stabilize over time. So many people are so quick to Want to KILL stuff in their tank. They should concentrate on getting things to LIVE unless u know they r causing some clear problem.

Just wanted to share an update.

As per my initial intuition and what Greg Hiller said, I decided not to use any chemicals to nuke flatworms. I added a possum wrasse almost 2 months back and now the flatworm population has dwindled down to near extinction.. I occasionally see 2-3 flatworms on the glass but nothing more than that :)

Last edited:
very cool . who knows they may be doing some good in there . I love finding things in my tanks at first I am like WTH is that !!! then unless I see something about them being evil I leave them be

Back