Flow advice please

ltelus said:
you can order the penductors in female or male threaded versions ;)

Ah, you're right! I hadn't noticed that on the site, I'll definitely go with the female threaded version and attach it to loc-line, that makes it much more adjustable. Plus, 3/4" loc-line is a little less bulky than regular 3/4" PVC.

Thank you!
Nuno

That sounds great Nuno.

I think I'm going to use both in my tank because the guy from the Penductor company said that if I put both on my Mak4 pump I'd pump 11 GPM (660 gph) and get 55 GPM (3300 gph) water movement!! :D (hopefully that's an over-estimate).

I think I might run them on opposite ends of the tank pointing at eachother. Am I crazy?

Here's a pic of the penductor in my tank:

penductor-20050426.jpg

Nuno

NateHanson said:
I'd pump 11 GPM (660 gph) and get 55 GPM (3300 gph) water movement!! :D (hopefully that's an over-estimate).

I think I might run them on opposite ends of the tank pointing at eachother. Am I crazy?

You can always dial down the pump, right? That way you can get pretty much get any flow between what you have now and that maximum flow of 3300gph.

In short: no, not crazy at all :)

Edit: if you point them straight at each other, you may have a "wave" at the top of the tank where the two flows collide (with possible splashing/spraying)... in my tank I get a "wave" of about 1/2 to 1" when the flow from the penductor meets the flow from the return pump.

Nuno

Last edited:
And then you can write a new chapter/addendum to the "How to raise and train your peppermint shrimp" book... "Chapter 7: surfing" :D

NateHanson said:
That sounds great Nuno.

I think I'm going to use both in my tank because the guy from the Penductor company said that if I put both on my Mak4 pump I'd pump 11 GPM (660 gph) and get 55 GPM (3300 gph) water movement!! :D (hopefully that's an over-estimate).

:eek: i thought i was pushing it in my 150

nunofs said:
I'll definitely go with the female threaded version and attach it to loc-line

I've given this a bit more thought and I don't think it'll work... there is a loc-line MPT adapter (male threaded on one end; it's what I'm using to attach the loc-line to a threaded bulkhead), but the other end is a large one, into which a smaller end of loc-line goes... so it wouldn't work the other way around, ie, there would be no way to attach that MPT adapter at the end of a loc-line segment because that will also end in a large opening.

OK, the above sentences are a mess, I hope you understand what I'm trying to say... it's easy to see when you're holding the loc-line.

Nuno

A little more searching, directly on the source (locline.com) and I found the solution: there's a loc-line element called a "double socket" which appears to be a "large/large" adapter... so I think I could have a MPT adapter on each end of that double socket and have one go into the bulkhead and the other one go into the female-threaded penductor...

So far the only online vendor that I found that sells these double sockets is savko.com ($1.33 each)... maybe I'll add this to the pooled order :D

Nuno

NateHanson said:
That sounds great Nuno.

Nate did you watch the movies I posted? I have one on each end of the tank pointing at eachother. Check them out.
Movie1
Movie2
Movie3
Movie4

Nuno, where did you find 3/4" threaded elbows? I need a second one for the other penductor, but didn't find it at Lowes. Did you get it at o'connors (I wish that place was closer to me!)

Nate

I didn't find them (tried both HD and O'Connors)... I'm using a threaded adapter in the photo above, but for the final setup I'll go with loc-line.

Nuno

Back